Synology DSM 7 2fa problem

OK … it seems, that with “7.0.1-42218 Update 2” an bug comes in where the device_id parameter is not provided anymore during login API calls, but this device_id is used to re-auth a new 2FA session from home-assistant (after integration reload or HA restart)

I have filed a support ticket with Synology, but cannot promis, that they will fix this … further I cannot really do any additional debugging or other checks, which could be requested by Synology within this support ticket, since my NAS is still on the unaffected version.

Same issue since update to DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 2

Same issue

The same issue as the users above.

Same issue. I can log on to the NAS just fine via browser using 2FA, but it fails whilst setting up the integration.
As I am forcing 2FA for all users, disabling it is not an option as login in will fail due to the system going into the “set up 2FA” cycle :wink:

You can change that to force 2FA so that you DON’T force it for ALL users, but only selected ones. Then you select all users BUT the one for HA. That’s what i did, and it works.

1 Like

This is one of those “duh, why did I not think of that” moments.
Good idea. Thanks!

Same problem for me.
I would love to keep 2fa for the HA user since it has to have admin rights.

True, but you can disable all acces for everything (all folders, all apps…), like it’s described above and still works for HA. So it’s not much of a vulnerability…

Unfortunately there is no (visible) progress in the Synology support ticket, yet (see #64867 (comment))

But feel free to open an support ticket on your own with Synology and reference to #3011170 - feel free to use the following as template/blueprint:

[Symptome]
when login with OTP and to enable to omit 2-factor verification via SYNO.API.Auth (example 3 on page 15), the response does not have the parameter did anymore, so later login with omitted OTP (example 4 on page 15) is not possible anymore.

This issue was first observed with 7.0.1-42218 Update 2, in prior version 7.0.1-42218 it works as expected

Referenced documentation: https://global.download.synology.com/download/Document/Software/DeveloperGuide/Os/DSM/All/enu/DSM_Login_Web_API_Guide_enu.pdf

[Schritte zum Reproduzieren]

1. login with OTP and enable to omit 2-factor verification (example 3 on page 15)
  2. logout (example on page 16)
  3. login with omitted OTP (example 4 on page 15)

The issue has been solved with HA 2022.3.7 by implementing a workaround in the underlying python library

3 Likes

How do you fix it after a firmware update on the Synology. HA won’t reconnect. Just throws an error about the OTP. It would be horribly dumb to have to remove it and add it back in from HA.
EDIT: Restart HA to fix the connection issue.