Since i noticed that the good woking synology camera integration will be removed in 0.118, I investigated the enhanced synology_dsm integration.
My use case:
In my use case its vital to see changes on the screen immediately. Therefore I love the old synology camera integration, because it presents all streams as a mjpegs (~3 sec delay) even if the cameras itself provide H264/H265 streams. The old integration seems to use the 2nd stream resolution (fixed, probably predefined by mobil device configuration on synology itself).
Thats totally sufficient for watching (1-2 updates per second; I doesn’t make sense to see 8MP streams on a tablet/older PC with 1-2 MP resolution!)
At the end i dream to have an easy to use dashboard for my camera modules:
- fast/low delay stream in terms of an overview for lovelace (i.e. using mid resolution and mjpeg is OK)
- abillity to manually switch to the highest resultion HLS stream for active watching
- save pictures and streams (then with the higest quality)
- navigate through the history (independent if realized using synology nas or HA technology)
I personally use 4 x 8MP cameras with three streams connected to the synology NAS. All three streams are configured: One with 8MP, one with 1MP and one as a kind of thumbnail stream.
Behaviour of new synology_dsm integration (camera):
- I found out that the new synology_dsm integration tends to create problems by showing this 8MP streams using HLS (no mjpeg) at all (this seems to be the new default). The delay is worse > 10 sec.
My Samsung S7 (ha app and browser) and also my older PC which worked well for presenting the lovelace interface up to now often struggle with the camera streams.
- I also noticed thats its vital to create an administrative user instead of an surveilance station user.
I have several ideas to improve that module:
- Create a configuration item to configure the available resolution for streaming in lovelace (perhaps interactively) +++
- Create a configuration item to configure the available streaming technology HLS or mjpeg for lovelace (perhaps interactively) +++
- Enable actions to save the stream and also pictures in a pre-defined quality (independend what lovelace presents) either built in lovelace or using Synology NAS methods (I am not aware of). ++
- History module (perhaps realized using the new HA media capabilities).