Synology HA Supervised - Tips on External Access?

I’ve installed HA supervised using Synology Virtual Machine Manager and everything works via homeassistant.local:8123, I can also access the HA UI via the IP for the HA VMM machine. This is my first ever install and use of VMM.

However I can’t figure out how to access my HA externally (mainly wanted as to be able to complete the integration of a local Smartthings hub). Does anyone know of a video or written guide on the topic? All I can find in guides on the installation part… and those touching on external acccess are not Synology guides.

For instance using xxx.synology.me I can access my NAS externally via HTTPS. I’ve installed a Let’s Encrypt certifcate and also the Web Station (that all seems to work fine). I also have a created a Reverse Proxy for a Docker container service that works fine externally.

I’ve tried to create a Reverse Proxy in Synology for HTTPS xxx.synology.me:8123, to the IP of VMM:8123 as well as to the NAS IP:8123, neither produced any positive results. I’ve also added a Port Forwarding rule to my router for 8123 to the IP of the VMM and opened the port in the Firewall of the router (also tried the same for the NAS IP as I’m still a bit confused on how this all works).

At this point I’m not even sure what is required… am I supposed to port forward to the VMM IP or NAS IP (in light of both my Router and Synology Reverse Proxy)? Is this even the correct steps or am I all wrong here?

Any tips welcome as the correct process.

I made a brief explanation how to configure external access via synology’s ddns. You can read it HERE.
First part is for general access to synology, second part is how to make HA accessible from outside.

Thanks, will have a look later today or tomorrow if that can help, I just spent my whole morning already on this without resolving so need a break from it :slight_smile:

And here is another link
How To Install Home Assistant Supervisor on Your Synology NAS – Marius Hosting

Took me some time, but finally got to test this and thank to your notes I’ve managed to set it up. It might have been the websocket part being the only thing I had no idea about and had not tried in my hours of testing before that.

1 Like