Synology install hangs

Hi everyone,
I tried HA on a rpi and liked what I saw. That’s been awhile ago. Have been playng with both VMs and docker containers on a somewhat new to me 1821+. I’ve had success with some other containers , but I have yet to get HA to complete the install in a VM on synology.
I get the .ova imported, but the web interface show warnings under the dot log, many of which I don’t understand. The CLI is available.
I’ve tried a couple of different ova images, followed a couple of YT guides to the letter. No dice.
Where would I start on diagnostics?

Les

For kicks, i imported the same ova into virtualbox in windows. having the same issue it appears. Wondering if it’s unable to DL the supporting images.

L.

Honestly, your best choice on the Synology is to run it as a Docker container using the official HA docker image. That’s what i do and I’ve never had an issue. You won’t easily have access to the USB ports, but if you really need that it can be done (at least for Zigbee or Zwave sticks, not so much for bluetooth). But if that’s really important, you might be better off going back to a Pi.

I’d prefer having the full os. There is no reason a VM shouldn’t work.
I have watched the status and it appears it is unable to pull…
qemux86-64-homeassistant:2023.3.6
In playing with the command line interface, I am unable to update supervisor.
I’m guessing I might be able to update it manually.

Les

True but with me (and not only me) the low hardware specs are making it sometimes hard to get things working / reboot, I have 218+ with 6G and ‘sometimes’ supervisor just does not start. I however use it to test things so starting only if needed, my main instance is on a NUC/docker

For Syno I followed this, works ok
Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager - Community Guides - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)
Btw, my main ‘con’ wrt. to HAOS is that it is not that easy to descend a version, I had a few issues over time with nex HA (and add-on) versions for which I had to go back, which is not always straightforward.
Docker also allows to install non-HA ‘addons’
All in all…VM is OK as well, just not for me

So I broke out a Pi and tried that.
Install hung at the same place…
Hmmmm.
Get to looking at my arista edge router settings and it was blocking ultrasurf applications which github was triggering. Rewrote the filter rule and all is well. Pi, docker, Vbox on W11, Vbox on Synology.

Sometimes it’s so simple.

L.

1 Like