Synology without docker, home assistant is running but frontend does not work

hi I installed home assistant according to the described guide
(https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/synology/)
on my synology diskstation in the way without docker. I run the “start” command and the status of home assistant is “running” but when I try to connect to homeassistant via http://IP_ADDRESS:8123 (IP_ADDRESS is local ip address of my synelogy 192.168.1.2) than nothing happens…

I am getting an error:

2018-11-03 14:01:26 ERROR (Thread-2) [homeassistant.util.package] Unable to install package home-assistant-frontend==20180227.0: Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 324, in run
    requirement_set.prepare_files(finder)
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 380, in prepare_files
    ignore_dependencies=self.ignore_dependencies))
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 554, in _prepare_file
    require_hashes
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 281, in populate_link
    self.link = self._wheel_cache.cached_wheel(self.link, self.name)
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 68, in cached_wheel
    self._cache_dir, link, self._format_control, package_name)
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 129, in cached_wheel
    wheel_names = os.listdir(root)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/services/homes/homeassistant/.cache/pip/wheels/dd/52/08/afa54d0e3498afb695f9a907b9ece13a7dac8ad53385150046'
2018-11-03 14:01:27 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Bus:Handling <Event system_log_event[L]: message=Unable to install package home-assistant-frontend==20180227.0: Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 324, in run
    requirement_set.prepare_files(finder)
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 380, in prepare_files
    ignore_dependencies=self.ignore_dependencies))
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 554, in _prepare_file
    require_hashes
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 281, in populate_link
    self.link = self._wheel_cache.cached_wheel(self.link, self.name)
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 68, in cached_wheel
    self._cache_dir, link, self._format_control, package_name)
  File "/volume1/@appstore/py3k/usr/local/lib/python3.5/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 129, in cached_wheel
    wheel_names = os.listdir(root)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/services/homes/homeassistant/.cache/pip/wheels/dd/52/08/afa54d0e3498afb695f9a907b9ece13a7dac8ad53385150046', exception=, source=util/package.py, timestamp=1541250086.939118, level=ERROR>
2018-11-03 14:01:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.requirements] Not initializing frontend because could not install requirement home-assistant-frontend==20180227.0
2018-11-03 14:01:27 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for frontend: Could not install all requirements.

Do you know where could be a problem please?

thanks for help :)))

@anonyimek
From the first line in the log file, Home Assistant is having problems installing the front-end. At best, even if you manage to get this installed, according to the install page, a direct install would be limited to HA version 64. The very old version would leave you way behind and cut you off from all the new components and interface changes. Is there some reason you aren’t using the docker install?

@zarthan

Hi thank you for answer.

There is problem because my synology 214se does not support a docker. I have already realized that this is not a good way, but buying a new synology server is an expensive affair. Next way would be use raspberry pi right ? or what do you recommend ?

A Raspberry Pi is the preferred way these days with HASS.IO. It makes installation and maintenance quick and easy and probably the least expensive.

Do you have a detailed step by step instruction how to install hassio on synology ?

https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/synology/

That’s not for HASSIO

@goprojojo HASSIO is a complete operating system built specifically for the Raspberry Pi. The Synology can support Docker containers but does have limitations (Python version) so as far as I know would not be a suitable platform for the current version of HASS.

Hassio is not the operating system. Hassos is. Hassio can run on anything with systemd and docker. The Synology can’t run hassio though.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I’m not a hassos or hassio user so I have not followed either closely.