System failing to create and use a USB datadisk

I have the system running on a Pi5 with a 32Gb SD card. When I plug in a Crucial NVME drive in a Ugreen container into a USB3 socket the system reports it as /dev/sda/. When I use the UI in Settings>System>Storage to Move the datadisk the process executes. On completion the system is running but not accessible.

When rebooting (power off/on) the system loads up to the point where it reports:

“Starting Docker Application Container Engine” and
“A Start job is running for Docker AX Container Engine” with a second timer. After 45 seconds the system shuts down and reboots. This reboot just repeats.

The ‘AX’ in the above message is ‘A’ followed by a rectangular block.

I do not have any logs because I have not been able to access the system. I just have a view on a monitor plugged into it.

System is: HA OS 12.1
Core: 2024.3.0
Supervisor: 2024.03.0
Frontend: 20240306.0

My USB drive is a Crucial CT2000P3 PSSD8
in a UGREEN M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps

So what am I doing wrong, please.

Re: my first post, failure to use SSD datadisk on a Pi5.

Without recreating my SD and SSD disks that I was using before I ran another test and the same failure occurred - could not load Docker - timeout.

So I plugged the SSD into a USB2 socket instead of USB3 and the problem went away - the system started as it should.

Is there a change I should make to the Pi5 configuration to make my SSD run correctly in the faster, USB3, socket?

I have chosen a USB cable which is specifically stated as being fast, a:
‘cablestop’ ‘50cm USB 3.1 Type A to C Data Sync 10GB Gen 2 Cable’.
System power supply is the Pi5 recommended supply.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Tim

Re: my second post, which was to report that my SSD USB data disk would work in a USB2 port on the Pi5 but not in a USB3 port.

I have added ‘usb-storage.quirks=0bda:9210:u’ in cmdline.txt on the boot drive (which is the SD card) and the problem has gone away. The SSD data disk now works when plugged into a USB3 socket.

This fix has been described when using an SSD as a boot disk. It is probably not surprising that the same fix works when using an SSD as a data disk.