System Monitor - Network Sensors Unknown

Anyone else’s system monitor network sensors down? Config hasn’t changed, rest of system monitor entities are fine. Looks like the last time they were working was Oct 5 at 1pm which was well after I updated to 2023.10.0 so I don’t think it’s an update issue. Have restarted, rebooted. Ran debug
on homeassistant.components.sensor and this is the only log mention of systemmonitor

INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor] Setting up sensor.systemmonitor

Glances is showing network thouroughput.

I’m at a loss.

yes me also

Logger: homeassistant.components.command_line.utils
Source: components/command_line/utils.py:54
Integration: Command Line (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 12:47:01 PM (201 occurrences)
Last logged: 4:07:02 PM

Command failed (with return code 1): cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Look like you’re using a command line sensor for your cpu temp. Different integration. I do as well but my command line temp sensor is working fine.

My issue here is with system monitor, specifically just the network sensors.

Same problem also for me. Have you found a solution?

I’m thinking you might actually have a different issue. Everything is working fine for me except the network sensors and my sensors have a state of unknown and yours are unavailable.

If I could get confirmation that this just isn’t something stupid with my system I’d file an issue on the core git, but nobody else seems to have the same problem as I do. And there are absolutely no errors in the log to indicate where the problem might be.

Ah ha! So here’s what happened. I was running HAOS v11 beta and there was a change with the network naming on ARM devices which I didn’t catch onto until v11 was released today.

If you have an ARM devices (eg Home Assistant Blue, odroid etc) you have to change your system monitor configuration and also the resulting system monitor network sensor entity_id’s in your configuration.

platform: systemmonitor
resources:
  - type: network_in
    arg: eth0
  - type: network_out
  - type: throughput_network_in
  - type: throughput_network_out

Becomes

platform: systemmonitor
resources:
  - type: network_in
    arg: end0
  - type: network_out
  - type: throughput_network_in
  - type: throughput_network_out

Your entity_id’s much be changed.
sensor.network_in_eth0 is renamed to sensor.network_in_end0
etc. etc.

• :warning: Breaking Change: On Arm based boards network names are enumerated based on device tree. This means that the first Ethernet devices will no longer be named eth0 but end0. The network configuration is automatically applied to the new network interface.
5 Likes

Nice one. Thanks for this. I was wondering why my monitor sensors had all gone unavailable. I suspected that it was due a recent update but hadn’t had time to look into this. I missed the breaking change notification on the HAOS release notes so your post pointed me in the right direction. Thanks!

I have suggested an update of the HA system monitor docs.

1 Like

Thank you for posting this! I too was wondering what happened to my network statistics.