T6 and Z-wave stick questions

I’ve been wanting to replace my programmable set back thermostat with something I can get to from my phone. Z-Wave got my attention because it will run on batteries. I do not want anything that connects to a cloud. I don’t want subscriptions or spying.

In the z-wave category Honeywell has the TH6320ZW2003 and the TH6320ZW2007/U. I’m thinking the first is a z-wave s0 non-encrypted model and the second one is a S2 encrypted device. Am I correct?

I fished into the wall and I can get a C wire once I connect it to the correct side of the furnace transformer, so I can run either with 24vac power. It should make the thermostat more responsive as it won’t be in battery saver mode.

To make either one work, I need a z-wave stick. I’ve been looking on Amazon, some sticks don’t mention S2, I’ve seen warnings about flashing needed. From a HA help file on Z-Wave pointing to Nortek, I get sent to a Nice site and can’t find anything about their stick there. I’m getting confused.

Read that the 2003 had relay issues, not something I want in winter up north. Assuming 2007 is newer and better?

Which T6 should I buy and what stick do I need, is one available that is compatable with the T6 that I can buy on amazon? I’ll be running it on a pi5 using the most recent Home Assistant Supervised.

This is confusing me.

Thanks

I’m very happy with this one.
Works fine here 4 years already, does S2, never had any issues with software or flashing needed…

https://z-wave.me/products/uzb/

I have used both Aeotec usb sticks and they both worked with my T6 thermostat (the 2003 one). I thought regular ZWave+ still supported encryption but I have never tried sniffing traffic or anything to confirm that it was using encryption. I haven’t had any issues with any of my hardware but I would probably go with the latest versions, i don’t think there is much difference in price from what i have seen.

I’ve been using the GoControl CECOMINOD016164 HUSBZB-1 USB Hub for about 5 years now and love it. It supports both Zigbee and Z-Wave, so you have access to a lot more devices. I use both in my network. I do recommend getting a USB extension cable so you can move the stick away from the computer, which helps with signal reception.

I suggest the TH6320ZW2007/U; it’s newer and supports Z-Wave+. Personally, I use a Honywell Lyric T5, but I connect to it through Home Assistant and Apple HomeKit (you don’t need Apple products; HomeKit is native to Home Assistant).

I don’t see that in the USA, did you have to pay 59 euro for a license?

I just ordered both. Did you have to flash your HUSBZB-1? If so where did you get your drivers?

No, I never had to flash it, I just checked my order history with Amazon and found that I got it back in September 15, 2019. I’ve been using it since without any issues, so it’s running whatever firmware was on it 5 years ago, LOL!

I’m also running it with HA on Debian as a VM; before that, I was using it with a Ubuntu VM. Not sure if that matters, but I’m pretty certain many use the stick with the Raspberry Pi too if that’s what you’re using.

No, the license is for Z-way software, which you don’t need, not for the stick.

I bought one and connected it to my T6. It was reasonably easy, I’ve only been playing with HA for a month or so. I have the T6 sitting on top of my existing thermostat and have a script setting evening and morning temperatures. I’ll wire it in soon, right now the T6 is running off its batteries.

Thanks,

Hi all, Just wondering if I can jump in with a related question on a similar topic. I have a brand new T6 thermostat that I just wired into my ducted AC system today (AC is working fine) and have HA with a Aeotec USB Z-stick 7. This is my first Z-wave device, but I have installed the Z-wave JS. My problem is that I cannot get the HA and T6 to pair. Sitting right beside each other physically, T6 is saying failing to connect and the HA system is timing out. Not sure what else to try, so just fishing for ideas from the experts please. My only thought so far is that the T6 is operating on batteries, so perhaps a seperate c-wire power supply would help? The operating instructions say it should work on batteries and I checked the T6 is operating in battery mode. Any suggestions from all you champs greatly appreciated. cheers Stuart

Maybe first factory reset it. If it was already paired (yes, even new devices sometimes were paired for passing tests), it won’t pair again.