Tabletop Phone Voice Assistant

Hi everybody,

let me present an old phone which I converted into a Voice Assistant.

https://youtu.be/hVT-VVcIVyE

Main Features
You can send voice commands and listen to the answers. Or simply start some automations using the keypad. Or let Home Assistant remind you on something by ringing the phone.

If you pick up the phone, the assistant starts listening. After the first command is executed, the phone switches to wake word detection to allow further communication. You can quit the conversation at any time by hanging up. In that case the assistant stops.
You can use the keypad to trigger automations within Home Assistant. Every pad is exposed as switch to Home Assistant, so you can use it as a trigger for further events.
The RGB indicator LED (5mm addressable WS2812) shows the current operation mode. Green is for idle, blue for listening (slow blinking) and working on commands (fast blinking). Red light indicates active wake word detection.
The bell is exposed as switch to HA, so you are able to let the telephone ring.

Technical Details
Inside the phone an ESP32 dev-board is working (az-delivery-devkit-v4). It is connected to all keys and switches of the phone. The original microphone is replaced by an i2s one, the original speaker is powered by an 3W i2s Amp-board. To get the bell working, a DC-DC converter is needed to supply 8V for the original circuit of the phone.
If you’re interested to create one by yourself, you can start with my yaml-file.
Be careful with long cables for the i2s bus, I needed to use an ethernet-cable and dedicated CLK- and LR-lines for the amplifier and the microphone.

Open topics
Unfortunately I was not able to figure out how to manually send tts messages to the speaker device yet. It would be nice to get a call that reminds you to bring out the bin, e.g. Maybe someone here has an idea how to do so…

As I’m new here, I’m not allowed to add more than one picture to the post. Here you can get an idea of the inside of the phone:

It’s during development phase, most of the cables are shorter now.

1 Like