Tasmota devices - Using MQTT or Tasmota Integration? SetOption19? Devices migrate between platforms

Hi all, I’ve been experiencing a strange issue for a while now that I cannot quite figure out, and I’d like to try and solve it.

So currently I’m using about 13 Tasmota-flashed devices, and I have updated most of them to v11.1.0, and they function well enough by themselves.

I use MQTT with HA, have a local Mosquitto MQTT addon (Configured by GUI) and all my devices connect to it. I also have the Tasmota HA Integration installed, and configured.

My devices are split between the MQTT and Tasmota Integration, and I have tried a few times to migrate all devices to the Tasmota Integration, but they pop back into the MQTT Integration as entities and disappear from the Tasmota Integration. Also if I restart/reboot the Tasmota device, it switches over the the MQTT Integration.

I set the SetOption19 0 on the 7 devices that exist within MQTT, they move over to the Tasmota Integration, but then later they reappear in MQTT Integration and gone from Tasmota.

The 6 devices that are always in the Tasmota Integration, are always there, but 7 others keep switching back to the MQTT Integration. When I look through their configs, they are essentially indentical apart from the device name and MQTT Topic.

I have noticed in the console log that when devices startup, the SetOption19 is “ON” at startup. I don’t know how to permanently disable this.

I’m not sure what to do exactly, can anyone help?

Also, is it generally better to use the MQTT or Tasmota Integration?

Tasmota is phasing out the MQTT integration, so eventually all devices will need to be migrated to the Tasmota integration.

That is unexpected behavior. SetOption19 0 always works for me. It is possible to change tasmota setting via MQTT publish commands from Home Assistant. Do you have some automation doing that?

Delete retained topics in mosquitto

1 Like

Well that makes me feels good that I’m moving in the right direction.

I don’t have any automation that sets SetOption19 but it resets to “ON” on every startup for some devices, and others are fine. I’ve been trying to find out if there’s a way to set startup behaviour for config like SetOption19.

I’m gonna look into how to do this, can you advise if there’s a simple way?

Use MQTT explorer.

1 Like

Thanks guys, by using MQTT Explorer, I was able to check the cmnd topic and see there was a Retained message for SetOption19 to “ON”, and removed it.

Seems to have solved the migrating Tasmotas, with restarts as well. :+1:

1 Like

I know what the recent version is, and I know that has little bearing on the issue raised in this thread. It’s just of note to be clear that its not issues in an ancient version from years back.

ESPHome.

Over the past few months I have moved a dozen or so devices from Tasmota to ESPHome. Mostly to consolidate. I have so many devices on different technologies, I almost need a spreadsheet to look up which technology and what IP is used. Moving these devices to ESPHome reduces that complexity.

1 Like

Is better Coca COla or Pepsi? > Beer!
He asked if it is better to use MQTT or Tasmota integration. @francisp told us there will be no support for MQTT (in tasmota) in the future. This could be reason tu use integration. BUT on other places (of this forum) they say Tasmota integration is MQTT in fact but with higher volume of data which is bad in result. So could please someone tell us if it is really OK for both sonoff´s device (or other devices with tasmota in relation to its internal memory atc.) and HASS to use Tasmota integration? Is it better way than standard MQTT? Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks, I don’t have any ESPHome devices or devices setup with ESPHome, and Tasmota has worked well for me this long. In that sense, I’m already consolidated on the firmwares, but I thought to consolidate to the Integration, and started this thread.

Thanks @francisp for letting me know that the MQTT support is going to dry up eventually, I think its a little unfortunate, but I’m using MQTT less and less, mostly just for Owntracks now.

MQTT is not going away in Tasmota, MQTT autodiscovery is. The whole Tasmota idea is based on MQTT, but it became to troublesome to keep supporting HA MQTT autodiscovery, hence the Tasmota integration.

2 Likes

Oh I see, so Tasmota isn’t going to exist much apart from HA anymore?
I thought that MQTT was independent from HA, and therefore Tasmota would use that as a primary platform for communication? Are they going to promote a Tasmota API or endpoint instead or something?

No. You can use Tasmota and other mqtt based devices without HA MQTT autodiscovery or Tasmota autodiscovery, you just have to define those devices yourself in .yaml. But autodiscovery is more easy for a lot of people.

Oh so MQTT isn’t going away in Tasmota, just the HA-specific MQTT Autodiscovery?
I think I’m a little confused. Do you know if there a roadmap about this, or something?

Yeah autodiscovery was easy when I was setting this up years ago, so I can see how beginners will find it easier. MQTT can be really difficult to use, I even struggle with it after this long.

So you say that my yaml configured tasmota (MQTT) switches (which I use for 4 years now) is better way than move to tamota integration (with autodiscovery) right?

If they work, there is no need to switch. Most of my devices are still on Tasmota 6.6, which is not supported with the Tasmota integration. But as long as they work, I don’t upgrade.

I don’t even know why I upgrade mine, I just feel like I’m supposed to, I suppose.
Sometimes its hard to tell if something can just be left alone though, because I’ve found in the past that some integrations and technologies get made depreciated or incompatible without upgrading.
Some are fine though, its hard to tell sometimes.

Yeah; I’m just gonna leave mine as they are as everything is working perfectly fine and see what happens.

What could possibly go wrong :thinking:

There’s definitely pitfalls in both approaches, leave it alone if it works, or keep current with updates.

Eventually SOMETHING will break, eventually, in either case.

That’s why I say its hard to tell sometimes, so I upgrade to try and stay current.