Tasmota or ESPHome?

Hello

I have an LED light strip that I have installed Tasmota onto. Device details at the end. I can connect to it with the device IP address, and control if through the tasmota interface. I have installed MQTT long ago on HA. I have performed the steps to let the tasmota device about the MQTT IP address, username and password.

I can see some messages in MQTT Explorer from the new tasmota device. But I cannot see the LED light strip in home assistant under the devices tab, and it is not popping up in the integrations tab for me to add to HA. I am not sure what I need to do to finally add it ti HA. Is there anything I should check to see why it is not yet a device in Home Assistant?

Further to this, I also use ESPHome a lot in Home Assistant. I am wondering if I should instead just flash this device with ESPHome instead? But I have not looked too far into this option yet. Do you think there are benefits with flashing it to ESPHome instead of Tasmota?

Brand: BrilliantSmart
Name: WiFi LED Strip 2m
Code: 20743

Thanks

Oh, and I did run this command from the console in Tasmota:

SetOption19 on

It did not send out any MQTT discovery messaged though. The doco says it should have sent out some MQTT messages. Any thoughts on why it would not send them out?

I have also installed Tasmota Integration in HA, and set:

SetOption19 off

There is a LWT message in MQTT broker for the LED light strip, but that is it. The device itself does not show up in HA.

Any help much appreciated.

Trying to get Tasmota auto discovery working:

1. The tasmota device is sending status messages to MQTT but I see nothing of discovery messages
  2. I have installed the Tasmota integration in HA
  3. The discovery topic for tasmota is “tasmota/discovery”
  4. The device is set to SetOption19 0

But I never see any MQTT message from the device that looks like “tasmota/discovery”. I cannot see any other setting in any doco that allows the device to send the discovery message. Any thoughts on what I need to do to turn on auto discovery?

There was something I saw yesterday about some flash bin files not supporting the autodiscovery protocol. Maybe that is it. I will look at that to see if there is a better bin file. I just used the tasmota one that was standard in the tuya_convert.