Television Control - Broadlink RM4 Pro

First off I hesitated between two subs, but wondering if anyone can offer any help.

For what feels like forever I have used a Logitech Harmony 650 remote for my TV, Amplifier and Xbox and other than having to replace it once it’s been handy and straightforward and “girlfriend friendly”.

However, one of the buttons (power) has died on it and I don’t really want to purchase another.

I have acquired a Broadlink RM4 Pro in the meantime and note it can control my TV and Amp.

For the Logitech remote, I used “activities” for Xbox, TV and Computer, and each activity button would do perform different functions based on what was pressed as follows:

Press the Xbox activity button, would turn on the TV and set it to HDMI1, turn on the AMP and set to CD input and turn on the Xbox.

Press the Watch TV button and this would turn on the TV, set it to Antenna and set the AMP to SAT.

Is it at all possible, to have this “activity” feature using the Broadlink integration with HA either via voice command from Google Home, using an NFC tag or some other method?

I need simplicity for 'er indoors and the children when they get older.

Thank you

All of this is possible with HA either with automations or scripts. But to begin, you should integrate the broadlink to HA. This can be done within the UI. I hope you have already done that. The second step is to learn the codes. Here you have two methods, either use the service remote.learn_command from the developer console or you can use the broadlink manger software.

After learning the codes, you can either create switches for individual button like this

- platform: broadlink
    mac: '78:0F:77:B9:5E:B4'
    switches:
     tvpower1:
        friendly_name: "Samsung TV Power"
        command_on: 'JgCMAJSVEjgSOBI4EhMSExITEhMSExI4EjgSOBITEhMSExITEhMSExI4EhMSExITEhMSExITEjgSExI4EjgSOBI4EjgSOBIABgqVlRI4EjgSOBITEhMSExITEhMSOBI4EjgSExITEhMSExITEhMSOBITEhMSExITEhMSExI4EhMSOBI3EzcTNxM3EzcTAA0FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'
        command_off: ''

or even directly use the code with the service remote.sent_command like this.

entity_id: remote.rm_pro_remote
command: b64:6QCYASYHJggPHSUIJAojCiMKDSAiCgwhDCEiDCELCyILIQwhDCEiCyILCyENAAFYDCEMIQwgIwojCiMLCyIhCyILIwoiDAoiIwsKIQwhIgwhCwwgDCEMIQwhIwoiCwwhDAABWQwhCyEMISMKIwshCwwhIgwhCyILIgwLISIMCiILISIMIA4JJAkjCiMJJB8OHxAHJAkAAVwLIgoiDCEiCyILIQ0LISEMIQwhDCINCSMgDQkjCiMhDCANCiMKIgsiCyIhDCEMCyIKAAFbDSAMIQwhIgsiCyILCyIiCyILIgsiCwsiIQ4JIgsiIQ0gCwwiCyEMIQwhIgsiCwwhDQABWA4fDSANICMKJAkiCwwhIwoiDCEMIQsMISILDCEMISMKIgsMIQ0gCyEMISILIgwLIQwAAVoNIA0fDSAjCyIMIgoNICILIgsjCiILDCEiCwsjCiIiCyILCyEMIQwhDCEjCiILDCEMAAFZDh8NIA0gIwojCyIKDCEjCyIKIwsiCgwhIwsLIQwhJAkiCwwhDCEMIQsiIgwhCwwhCwAF3A==

Then its just a matter of building automations which could be done from the UI itself. You should create input_booleans for each activity and use it as the trigger for automaions.

The final step would be to integrate this automation with google assistant. For this, you should first open HA to google assistant. This can be achieved by nabu casa or through the following method. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqGi_GI0ltU

After opening HA to google assitant, expose the input_booleans to google home and use it in routines or as switches to trigger the automation.

The same can be done with NFC tags, you just have to use the tag scanned as the event to trigger the automation.

I know my explanation maybe not so thorough but let me know if you want help with each and every step.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I will see how I get along. I cannot at the moment add BL to HA but I believe I have to reset BL and stop at a certain point to integrate it with HA?

No, you dont have to reset BL to integrate with HA. You have to go to sidebar>configurations>integrations>add new integration>broadlink

Then you have to give the IP address or so. Maybe it will auto discover the device also.

1 Like

Hmm, it doesn’t want to seem to integrate at all with HA, as if the device isn’t supported. I am at work at the moment, so I cannot recall what it says, but it is along the lines of not being supported.

1 Like

Just check out this video. It should be of help.

1 Like

Thanks for the links. I will view the YouTube video later today and see what’s stopping me progressing

So, I have reset the device as per the YouTube video.

In HA I have copied the IP of the RM4 Pro and gone to add the integration and get Aborted - Device Not Supported :frowning:

I have come across this, seems I have to wait?

Try this method

1 Like

Cheers, I will take a look

I installed the add on and got 502: Bad Gateway

also the solution on there mentions docker???

It should have worked since it hasnt, its best to wait for next update.

1 Like

Looks like I may have to sit it out, thank you