Tellstick installation on HassIO

If you or anyone with the same error can ping me on discord (endor) I can support by looking in on the problem a little closer.

I have a tellstick net and some switches and sensors.
But due to the delay i bought a telldus duo hoping for less delay and more reliable automation

Using Hass.io and installed the module TellStick and TellStick Duo service…

Do i have to manually add all devices or will they be detected?

starting version 3.2.4
[Info] Initialize the tellstick configuration
[Info] Exposing sockets and loading service
[Info] Starting event listener
telldusd daemon starting up
Connecting to TellStick (1781/C31) with serial XXX

Added the example yaml:
tellstick:
port: [50800, 50801]
signal_repetitions: 3

Well here was the solution

Hi, I just installed the Tellstick hass.io add-on, connected my Tellstick Duo, did the HASS config addition and restarted. Everything works fine.

Then I want to edit the device file in the add-on configuration page. Prior to this I run a service command to list out all the observed Tellstick devices. This is presented to me in the log-file under the add-on config page of the Tellstick Add-on:

Info] Read list-sensors /
[Info] TellStick list-sensors success → type=sensor protocol=mandolyn model=temperaturehumidity id=12 temperature=2.2 humidity=71 time=2018-05-10 00:23:21 age=3
type=sensor protocol=mandolyn model=temperaturehumidity id=103 temperature=21.9 humidity=42 time=2018-05-10 00:22:51 age=33
type=sensor protocol=mandolyn model=temperaturehumidity id=102 temperature=11.8 humidity=49 time=2018-05-10 00:22:57 age=27
type=sensor protocol=mandolyn model=temperaturehumidity id=11 temperature=16.7 humidity=53 time=2018-05-10 00:23:05 age=19

I change my config to implement the first of these units, the id 12 like this;

{
“devices”: [
{
“id”: 12,
“name”: “Temperature Balcony”,
“protocol”: “mandolyn”,
“model”: “temperaturehumidity”,
“house”: “A”,
“unit”: “1”
}
]
}

But I get a error like this;

not a valid value for dictionary value @ data[‘options’]. Got {‘devices’: [{‘id’: 12, ‘name’: ‘Temperature Balcony’, ‘protocol’: ‘mandolyn’, ‘model’: ‘temperaturehumidity’, ‘house’: ‘A’, ‘unit’: ‘1’}]}

It seems to be related to the model and protocol fields. Are these not in sync? Am I using an old firmware on my Duo?

@kenavn the Mandolyn protocol was not listed as a supported protocol on tellsticks wiki page for supported protocols neither was model temperaturehumidity that’s why it’s not allowed in the add-on config.
But when looking at your listing and also verifying with the source for telldus-core i can see it should be available.

I have created a PR for the add-on to version 0.5 with support to have mandolyn and temperaturehumidity along with a few others.

Please stand by for the change to be approved before the plugin update is available in your hassio and ready for you to use.

@endor, thank you! Beautifully executed :slight_smile:

Done, v0.5 is now ready for you.
:sunny:

1 Like

Hello again,

I updated the plug-in, and successfully changed the config. Nice! But the only drawback was that the devices are registered as “switch”, thus do not report any states at all…

Checked out your PR as well, and had a look at the Tellstick code in the main repo. I figured out that the mandolyn etc. are sensor data, and needs to be configured as a sensor. So they should not be included in the config of the hass.io plugin. Am I right? I guess the config file in the hass-io plugin is not a prerequisite for using a device as a sensor?

Sorry, but new to HA, and haven’t touched the Tellstick for a while either…

Ah, of course you’re right. Temp sensors appear automatically.
You can control which temp sensors to show in hass configuration and what their name should be. But unless you have configured to only show named sensors, all such sensors should appear.

I have had some issues sometimes the temp sensors has not been showing up, don’t know if it was lack of comms range or what could be the reason but after one or two restarts it showed up.
Try both homeassistant restart and full host reboot to see if it helps/changes the outcome.

Is there any way to make the add-on report “none” or “N/A” or something for defined sensors?

It always takes 3-4 restarts before all ny sensors show up again.

hassio.addon_stdin
{"addon":"core_tellstick","input":{"function":"list"}}

After restart:

SENSORS:

PROTOCOL            	MODEL               	ID   	TEMP 	HUMIDITY	RAIN                	WIND                	LAST UPDATED        
fineoffset          	temperature         	198  	6.0°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:13:09 
fineoffset          	temperature         	182  	21.3°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:13:10 
fineoffset          	temperature         	177  	20.1°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:13:11 
mandolyn            	temperaturehumidity 	42   	6.4°	55%     	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:13:15 

After a couple of minutes - but the newly discovered are not showing up in Hass.io until restart:

SENSORS:

PROTOCOL            	MODEL               	ID   	TEMP 	HUMIDITY	RAIN                	WIND                	LAST UPDATED        
fineoffset          	temperature         	198  	6.0°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:45 
fineoffset          	temperature         	182  	21.3°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:46 
fineoffset          	temperature         	177  	20.1°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:47 
mandolyn            	temperaturehumidity 	42   	6.4°	55%     	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:15 
fineoffset          	temperature         	187  	21.9°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:13:24 
fineoffset          	temperature         	21   	21.4°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:13:27 
fineoffset          	temperaturehumidity 	199  	21.1°	45%     	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:28 
fineoffset          	temperature         	50   	20.9°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:33 
fineoffset          	temperature         	9    	11.9°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:33 
fineoffset          	temperaturehumidity 	231  	8.7°	72%     	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:34 
fineoffset          	temperature         	232  	7.1°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:39 
fineoffset          	temperature         	168  	-21.7°	        	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:49 
fineoffset          	temperaturehumidity 	167  	-20.7°	49%     	                    	                    	2018-10-02 18:14:44 

It would be better if it behaved like deCONZ, showing the device as “Unavailable” until a value is received.

Any suggestions how to accomplish that?

Edit:

Solved by using templates for each sensor

temp_182:
      friendly_name: 'Outdoors'
      icon_template: mdi:weather-sunny
      unit_of_measurement: '°C'
      value_template: '{% if states("sensor." + "182" + "_temperature") != "unknown" %} {{ states("sensor." + "182" + "_temperature")}} {% else %} N/A {% endif %}'

temp_198:
      friendly_name: 'Kitchen'
      icon_template: mdi:weather-sunny
      unit_of_measurement: '°C'
      value_template: '{% if states("sensor." + "198" + "_temperature") != "unknown" %} {{ states("sensor." + "198" + "_temperature")}} {% else %} N/A {% endif %}'

If no value is received, it shows N/A, but changes to the value as soon as it updates.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I have only some sensors and I am not able to add them to the config. Can you please help on how to proceed?
I have just migrated to HASSIO and into using the plugin. Until now I have used the Linux app from Telldus and all was fine.
I get the following error:

not a valid value for dictionary value @ data[‘options’]. Got {‘devices’: [{‘id’: 

and if I list the sensors I get:

oregon              	EA4C                	231  	11.1°	        	                    	                    	2020-03-04 00:28:06 
fineoffset          	temperaturehumidity 	76   	13.9°	65%     	                    	                    	2020-03-04 00:25:13 
oregon              	1A2D                	252  	25.9°	30%     	                    	                    	2020-03-04 00:27:51 

The problem is the way the values are formatted in configuration.yaml it seems.

@endor, thank you for your reply. Any idea on how to overcome this?

I notice that when I configure the second sensor from the list, the one that uses fineoffset, I can save the configuration but I am not able to see it in the front-end of Hass. For the ones using oregon I get the mentioned error.

Does this add-on support the oregon protocol? I assume that the answer is yes, asking just in case. :sweat_smile:

Should work, yes, especially if it is listed as recognised sensors by tellstick.

Can you paste your tellstick: configuration from the sensor: section from your configuration file?

Here is an example based on your device list, i think it should be enough with specifying the ID.
The protocol and model are optional values that you can add if it is not working…

# Example configuration.yaml entry
sensor:
  - platform: tellstick
    only_named:
      - id: 231
        name: Outside
      - id: 76
        name: Inside
      - id: 252
        name: Somewhere_else

My configuration, I assume it is ok. I have migrated from standard python installation to Hassio in docker. And the configuration used to work ok in my previous installation.
This is my configuration:

sensor:
- platform: tellstick
  temperature_scale: "°C"
  only_named:
    - id: 231
      name: Outside Back
    - id: 252
      name: Outside Front
    - id: 76
      name: Attic

After all my time spent on this I tend to believe it is an add-on issue. I have the same issue as kenavn several posts above, May '18.

Where do you get the error?
not a valid value for dictionary value @ data[‘options’]. Got {‘devices’: [{‘id’:

LE: Thanks Endor for the help, I finally understood what you were saying about the config. For future reference, if some else hits this, you need a different entry in the configuration.yaml if you are using the add-on(check the official documentation).

Thanks again

1 Like

I just gotten hold of an old tellstick USB stick (the small one) and I have no idea where to get started. Do I need to configure this before hand some how with Telldus software or can I do it from the addon?

Hej @fondberg,
Just install the Tellstick addon and add the following to configuration.yaml:

tellstick:
    host: core-tellstick
    port: [50800, 50801]

In the addon’s “Configuration” tab you need to define all your switches. For me, the first two switches (actually Nexa dimmers) are defined like this:

devices:
  - id: 01
    name: Ellinors taklist
    protocol: arctech
    model: 'selflearning-dimmer: nexa'
    house: '???????'
    unit: '1'
  - id: 02
    name: Carls spotlights
    protocol: arctech
    model: 'selflearning-dimmer: nexa'
    house: '???????'
    unit: '1'

Of course, the ‘???’ needs to be replaced by a unique code for each device. Make sure to read the documentation in the addon’s “Documentation” tab as the configuration is different for different kinds of plugs.

Do you have the regular Tellstick (send only) or a Tellstick Duo (send and receive)? If it is a Duo you can also add your remotes and have them trigger things in HA. I use standard Nexa remotes to control all lights, Nexa plugs as well as Zigbee and Zwave lights.

Pardon me for intervening, but I’m stuck at a similar problem. I have a Tellstick Duo and managed to add some switches - now I can send on/off commands from HA, but I can’t figure out how to make HA react to commands from Nexa remotes, even if the remote is sending the same code as my HA switch.

I had this working in an older HA setup using pilight, but the 433 MHz hardware on that is too unreliable receiving (I don’t want to flick my wall switches three times).

EDIT: Solved! Apparently telldus-core and pilight interpret the “code” part of the arctech/nexa protocol differently. I looked at the raw codes in CLI as adviced earlier in this tread. With the correct codes, the switches on HA panel follow the commands nicely :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like