Temperature and humidity sensor - zwave

hello
can you recommend some temp&humidity zwave sensor with accurate measuring … as much as possible :slight_smile:

Thanks

For Z-Wave, we need to know your country. Z-Wave offerings differ by world region and use incompatible RF standards.

@prodigyplace hello, its Europe

OK Thanks.
My North American suggestions would not be of much use then

so no update… ?:frowning:

I have used Aeotec sensor like the tri sensor or multi sensor. They are not very accurate and can vary by ±1 or more.
Zooz has 4 in 1 multisensor as well again they are accurate enough and if required you can offset temperature from settings.

What have you found yourself and are you considering?
Are you really tightened to zwave?

i found aeotec temp and hum sensor, but its out of stock and they said they are upgrading it for a new version…

I wanted something decent / accurate… if no zwave what else? Zigbee?

@kan84 is zooz better then aeotec then? thanks

Both are good in terms of zwave, I have aeotec multisensor 6 which had worked fine but over years I had to adjust temperature by applying offset. I have zooz multisiren which has temperature sensor and it has been pretty good and have used it for 2-3 months. I believe none of the sensors zwave or zigbee are very accurate or has been calibrated by the company

There are quite a few in zigbee like Aqara temperature sensor they are cheap and accurate to a degree. Smartthing sensor if available are also good, they are being sold by Aeotec now as smartthings sold its zigbee hardware to Aeotec so you can try that.

hmm bit confusing ;/ i dont want to use these multisensors… as its no point … bc for temp u have to place a sensor to specific part of the room/height etc…

Basically seem not much for a selection here ;/

A lot of the Fibaro sensors have a temperature probe integrated, like their door/window sensors and motion sensors. You are right though, a good placement for a motion or window sensor is rarely a good placement for a temperature one. So it seems somewhat gimmicky. FWIW, I use the temperature sensor from two of my FGMS-001 motion sensors because their placement is ok. They seem to be relatively accurate, but besides a quick cross reference with an Oregon Scientific thermometer I had around, I didn’t do any checks. There’s no humidity sensor in them.

I mean I’m using a ton of zwave stuff myself, but for simple temperature and humidity sensors it’s not the system I would pick. I’m using cheap 433MHz sensors like these:

Or maybe just build your own ? Although calibrated temperature sensor components are not that easy to come by either. You may have to calibrate them yourself, which is not always trivial.

hi,
not sure … i thought there will be some nice zwave/zigbee sensor … with nice calibration, apparently its not?

seems no update here …

Not too sure what you’re expecting to be honest. Any consumer temp / hygro you buy will typically have a ±1° variance, regardless of the RF standard used. They all use the same type of sensor components anyway. If you really need more accurate readings, then just calibrate it yourself. Most of the time a single point (offset) calibration will be more than sufficient. If you want to be fancy, do a linear or three point calibration.

All these sensors measure the temperature of air flow around them. The thermodynamic flow in your house will make any kind of accurate temperature measurement impossible anyway. There will be temperature variances much larger than even the most imprecise sensors, simply due to natural convection flows depending on where you place the device. So you will need to adjust for that anyway. If you have the chance, just look around your house through a FLIR type thermal camera. The temperature gradients are much larger than most people realize, even within the same room. Add to that radiative heat transfer which the typical temp/hygro sensors can’t measure. So what is the ‘real’ room temperature anyway? It’s a very crude average of thousands of sample points around the area.

Those devices are not lab grade surface IR thermometers. If you need something like that, you won’t find it as a consumer home automation appliance. You can, however, build one yourself if you want or interface with a professional NIST certified probe. The price tag isn’t the same. And it won’t solve the problem of defining what your room temperature actually is…

thank you so much for an explanation. Aeotec temp sensors are now gone, they are working on the upgrade… so i assume there are no other concurrent with similar price level and accuracy on zwave or zigbee for Europe?

Thanks

Any new recommendations for z wave Sensors with temp and humidity?

What about the zooz zse44 or the aeoteq zwa Versions?

Are there USB Powered z wave temp Sensors available?

Greets karl

1 Like

can any one help here? thanks!

I have several ZSE44 sensors and they work well. They use a bigger battery than the other Zooz XS sensors (CR2450] which I’ve replaced only once in well over a year now. There are parameters to offset the readings if you have another sensor to calibrate with. Zooz has North American and EU versions on their website.

For USB-powered, there’s the ZSE11 multisensor which also includes motion and light sensors, but I can’t vouch for its accuracy because I don’t have one.

1 Like