Template Action?

I have a couple of LED strips, and I want to have them take a variety of actions based on a wide variety of conditions. Flash red when the doorbell is rung, announce when my wife or myself come home, light up for special holidays, when the PS/4 is connected to the TV, or as a night light.

Some of these are very short acting, and should take precedence over other options. If it’s Christmas, the lights should be flashing Red and Green, but should just flash red for a few seconds if the doorbell is run, then go back to Red and Green.

This means if I have individual automations for each display, they will stomp on each other.

A rule based engine would be perfect, but isn’t available, so I’m trying to figure out how to do this with templates.

Here is what I’d like to do, is this possible?

- id: shelf_light
  alias: Self Light
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id:
    - sensor.front_door_ringing
    - switch.harmony_hub_play_ps4
    to: 'on'
  action: >
    {% if is_state(''sensor.front_door_ringing'', ''on'') %}
    service: homeassistant.turn_on
    entity_id: light.shelf_light
    data:
      brightness: 255
      effect: 'Strobe'
      rgb_color: [255,0,0]
   {% elif is_state(''switch.harmony_hub_play_ps4'', ''on'') %)
    service: homeassistant.turn_on
    data:
      brightness: 255
      effect: 'PS 4'
      rgb_color: [255,255,255]
   {% else %}
    service: homeassistant.turn_off
   {% endif %}

Super bonus points if I can create a central status for “house lights” that specifies on/off, brightness, color, and effect, which all of the light strips use + local overrides for some individual strips (only change the ones under the TV based on TV status, etc).

Why not use chose? That is what it’s meant to be used for.

Because I’d forgotten it existed. ;>

Thanks!