Template Cover

The code still works, but you have to add manifest.json and init.py

You can find a small readme and the required files at:

1 Like

Thanks, i added the files and sadly the timedcover is not working proparly.
i used your sample config to test with.
On default i get an tiltposition and an normal position.
i only use the open/close/stop_cover commands
and have tried tilt_optimistic: false
i asume i the tilt position would not show up.

When i use lets say 30 sec for open and close the cover does nothing with these values
When i push the button to lower the screen the position jumps emediatly to down.

what am i missing or doing wrong ?

It works with the cover position slider. When you press the up or down it might jump to 0 or 100. That’s not that important. But let’s say your covers are closed and at 0 percent. Move the slider to %50 percent and the cover will work for 15seconds and settle at middle position. This also works with google home. Just say google to set the position to %50. It will do so. One thing to note. When you press the up to open the cover, wait for 30 seconds until your next command. If you don’t it will put the covers out of sync. Just press another arrow and wait to fix.

I was hoping that when i stop the cover going down within the time i would have the options for up and down. But therefore the slider needs to update to the correct percent (or at least be between 1 and 99). But that part does not working if i interperter your comment correct.

You can use the stop button, but currently it does not update the cover position to the position it’s stopped at. As I’ve said I use the position with google assistant and it works as expected (setting the cover position to any percent with voice commands)

It would be nice that the position is updated for my aplication. I dont use any voice assistent and only uses the buttons.

You could either try to fix the code yourself or find a good coder :slight_smile: Unfortunately I am not a coder. It would have been perfect if this feature request was implemented in the official version. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Im also not a coder and dont now any who can solve this. I have seen that there is an esp-home timed cover. So it would be very nice if ha also add this future in the template cover or a seperate timed cover. The basic is already here. I look forward to it.

Thanks to @PhracturedBlue for the nice custom cover integration. And thanks to @sendorm for putting it all into an easy to consume repo.

I didn’t need the tilt function so I disabled it in the cover.py file.
I had noticed a few others were trying to do this as well.

I forked the timedcover repo from @sendorm and changed line 199 of the cover.py file to set the tilt value to None instead of 0.

Here’s the change I made: https://github.com/rmooreID/timedcover/commit/111ffaa62147f6dee575dd03389bc7f8666a6bc7

Hope this helps anyone else who didn’t need the tilt functionality.

1 Like

Thank you for the fix.

Hi,

I already put the files under custom_components/timedcover folder. My doubt is to adjust the timedcover in configuration.yaml to my blinds.

I have my knx blinds working with this code:

cover:
  - platform: knx
    name: Living_Room_Blind
    move_long_address: '1/2/1'
    move_short_address: '1/2/0'
    position_address: '4/2/0'
    position_state_address: '4/2/1'
    angle_address: '4/6/0'
    angle_state_address: '4/6/1'
    travelling_time_down: 51
    travelling_time_up: 61

Hi @sendorm,
Could you please help me to adapt my covers to timedcover custom component?
Thanks.

I don’t have any experience with the knx system. The custom component is mainly for one way communication motors. The custom component has an opening and closing time so that the percentage can also be handled.
The knx integration seems to have opening/closing time and status updates. If so you shouldn’t need this custom component.

I’d just like to add the tilt comand (arrows).
Thanks anyway.

Hi sendorm, thanks for your timedcover component, it works pretty nicely.

However, it doesn’t save the states between HA restarts. I’ve seen that you have from homeassistant.helpers.restore_state import RestoreEntity present but somehow the states are lost after restart. It would be good to have at least open/close state saved.

Any idea why?

This is an old code and I am not the owner. I just made it compatible with the current code. And yes I also observed that the state is not saved and it bothers me a bit. It would be great if this code can be integrated into HASS as an official component.

Hi,
Thanks for this code. It has worked wonderfully for my RF controlled patio cover. I have other template covers (not using the timed cover template) and they don’t save the state either. 3 use the Broadlink integration (as does my patio cover) and the last is a somfy blind using an arduino RF transmitter and scripts to handle the rolling code.

I use RECORDER and their states are saved in the database, but on restart, they all go back to an initial state (also saved in the database).

So to get around this, I save the states to INPUT_SELECTs for each blind whenever the state changes and then when HA starts, an automation uses a python script (set_state.py) to restore the states.

It works, EXCEPT for the Timed cover. In fact, if I use Developer Tools to set the state of the timed cover, it resets to whatever state it was in immediately. I can see the change and change back happen very quickly.

Why can I not set the STATE of the timed cover? Even with Developer Tools?

Any ideas?

No idea, sorry.

In case it can help someone, here is a custom component:

Great! And there’s a version for RF covers too!