Template loop detected while processing event

Hey,
I have been having this issue for a while, but cant seem to find a solution. Sensor itself works well, but error message appears quite often in core log:

2020-11-07 16:26:00 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.template.template_entity] Template loop detected while processing event: <Event state_changed[L]: entity_id=sensor.current_consumption, old_state=<state sensor.current_consumption=236.0; unit_of_measurement=W, friendly_name=Current Power, icon=mdi:transmission-tower @ 2020-11-07T16:25:58.361623+01:00>, new_state=<state sensor.current_consumption=237.0; unit_of_measurement=W, friendly_name=Current Power, icon=mdi:transmission-tower @ 2020-11-07T16:25:59.364586+01:00>>, skipping template render for Template[{% set ns = namespace(states=[]) %} {% for s in states.sensor %}
  {% if s.entity_id.startswith('sensor.') and s.object_id.endswith('_power') and s.state not in ['unavailable', 'unknown' ] %}
    {% set ns.states = ns.states + [ s.state | float ] %}
  {% endif %}
{% endfor %} {{ ns.states | sum | round(2) }}]

Full sensor configuration:

- platform: template
  sensors:
    current_consumption:
        friendly_name: Current Power
        unit_of_measurement: W
        icon_template: mdi:transmission-tower
        value_template: >
          {% set ns = namespace(states=[]) %}
          {% for s in states.sensor %}
            {% if s.entity_id.startswith('sensor.') and s.object_id.endswith('_power') and s.state not in ['unavailable', 'unknown' ] %}
            {% endif %}
          {% endfor %}
          {{ ns.states | sum | round(2) }}

It is based on configuration I found in several places here.
Interesting is, that I have kWh sensor which is almost identical, but that one never shows any errors.
I dont see how it can loop, since it is not self-referencing for sure.

Any idea what could be causing this message?

1 Like

Did you ever solve this? Iā€™m encountering the same behavior.

No, I didnt. I have already tried bunch of things, but this issue just wont go away.

Youā€™ve defined a Template Sensor called sensor.current_consumption.

This line collects all sensors including sensor.current_consumption.

There are other ways to do this. You can create a group containing all power-related sensors except sensor.current_consumption. The template will simply need to use expand() and you wonā€™t need a for-loop. Alternately, if all your power-related sensors have a device_class set to power, your template can simply use selectattr('attributes.device_class', 'eq', 'power) to get them.

If you many sensors with device_class set to power and you donā€™t want the sum of all of them, you can use custom attributes. Create a custom attribute for each sensor (could be something simple like type: power) and then use a template like selectattr('attributes.type', 'eq', 'power).

1 Like

It does not collect all sensors, It only cycles through them all. See line right under your quote:

{% if s.entity_id.startswith('sensor.') and s.object_id.endswith('_power') and s.state not in ['unavailable', 'unknown' ] %

Entity name must end with ā€œ_powerā€, otherwise it will not be counted in.

They are all ESP devices, so I should be able to add attribute I think. Never tried that.
But not sure it would help, since I still need to cycle through all sensors to find all power readings. I have many and add/remove more often, so I dont want static method to do this.

Paste this into the Template Editor:

{{ s.name }}
          {% endfor %}

Itā€™ll report the names of all sensors in your system, including sensor.current_consumption. Thatā€™s the collection the for-loop cycles through. The first line within your for-loop is the test it applies to each member of the collection.

Paste this into the Template Editor

{% for s in states.sensor if s.entity_id.startswith('sensor.') and s.object_id.endswith('_power') and s.state not in ['unavailable', 'unknown' ] %}
              {{ s.name }}
          {% endfor %}

It should print only the names of the sensors that match the criteria. You may want to try that construct in your Template Sensor. It may fix the issue (without any major changes to the template).

thanks, going to give it a try

Given that the template is using states.sensor you could probably remove the initial startswith('sensor.') because only sensors are included in the collection.

NOTE

Depending on how the new template analysis works, it may still cause the error message if the analysis takes into consideration states.sensor without evaluating the balance of the template. In other words, it may creates listeners for all sensors just because it sees states.sensors in the template. Iā€™m hoping the new template analysis technique (introduced a few versions ago) is more sophisticated than that. If not, every time sensor.current-consumption is updated, it will (because itā€™s part of states.sensor cause the template to be re-evaluated (which is a loop, of course).

Ah I see, now I understand the issue. Thanks for an explanation.
So far no error, but I didnt used to get it every time. I give it some time and report here.

No, that didnt helped. Iā€™m still getting the same error:

2020-12-16 10:26:22 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.template.template_entity] Template loop detected while processing event: <Event state_changed[L]: entity_id=sensor.current_consumption, old_state=<state sensor.current_consumption=207.0; unit_of_measurement=W, friendly_name=Current Power, icon=mdi:transmission-tower @ 2020-12-16T10:26:20.723463+01:00>, new_state=<state sensor.current_consumption=191.0; unit_of_measurement=W, friendly_name=Current Power, icon=mdi:transmission-tower @ 2020-12-16T10:26:21.725318+01:00>>, skipping template render for Template[{% set ns = namespace(states=[]) %} {% for s in states.sensor if s.entity_id.startswith('sensor.') and s.object_id.endswith('_power') and s.state not in ['unavailable', 'unknown' ] %}
{% endfor %} {{ (ns.states | sum) | round(2) }}]

I have checked and it is not possible to add attributes for esphome sensors.

If you loop through all the sensors, regardless of filters applied, that message has a chance to appear.

That means itā€™s not a error. You can safely ignore it, itā€™s just letting you know that you have a template that might reference itself. If you want it out of your logs, remove it by configuring logger to ignore warnings for the template sensor integration.

Itā€™s possible to add custom attributes to Home Assistantā€™s entities by defining them in customize.yaml or via the menu: Configuration > Customizations. You can add whatever extra information you want to each entity.

Customizing Entities

However, the warning message may be due to the templateā€™s reliance on states.sensor (which will automatically include sensor.current_consumption). My suggestion to use custom attributes still relies on using states.sensor so I now doubt it would prevent the warning.

The following suggestion avoids the use states.sensor. However, it requires that you create a group containing all of the power-related sensors. The Template Sensor is reduced to this:

sensors:
    current_consumption:
        {{ expand('group.my_sensors') | rejectattr('state', 'in', ['unavailable', 'unknown'])
            | map(attribute='state') | map('float') | sum | round(2) }}

Thanks, thats probably only option I have.
Could you point me to the documentation for rejectattr and other such commands used with expand? Iā€™m not able to find it.
I would like to learn additional options. Also I would like to know if it is possible to add additional filter similar to endswith using this method.

Removing warnings globally for all template sensors is not an option. I need them in case I mess up anything in the future.
Iā€™m using HA for over a year now, but I still keep discovering new things and new ways to do things almost weekly, so I tinker with it a lot.
It sort of became my hobby, from configuration to creating integrations :slight_smile:

This is Jinja, itā€™s not something that is specific to Home Assistant. I suggest google Jinja, hereā€™s a reference to built in jinja filters.

It is not possible. EDIT: Seeing that you know how to code, an easier solution would be to add a new filter thats similar to rejectattr/selectattr that accepts startswith/endswith. Adding a test to it would require you to override the whole method.

Ah, I see. I have much to learn :slight_smile:

Here is what Iā€™m testing now:
Group:

energy:
    name: Energy
    entities:
        - sensor.dac_daily_energy
        - sensor.dac_power
        - sensor.dell_monitor_daily_energy
        - sensor.dell_monitor_power
        - sensor.eizo_monitor_daily_energy
        - sensor.eizo_monitor_power
        - sensor.grow_light_5_daily_energy
        - sensor.grow_light_5_power
        - sensor.ha_daily_energy
        - sensor.ha_power
        - sensor.headphones_daily_energy
        - sensor.headphones_power
        - sensor.hp_monitor_daily_energy
        - sensor.hp_monitor_power
        - sensor.marantz_daily_energy
        - sensor.marantz_power
        - sensor.nas_daily_energy
        - sensor.nas_power
        - sensor.nc_gw1_daily_energy
        - sensor.nc_gw1_power
        - sensor.pc_daily_energy
        - sensor.pc_power
        - sensor.prusa_daily_energy
        - sensor.prusa_power
        - sensor.usb_daily_energy
        - sensor.usb_power

Sensors:

sensor:
  sensors:
    energy_total:
      friendly_name: Total Energy
      unit_of_measurement: kWh
      icon_template: mdi:calendar-today
        {{ expand('group.energy') 
        | selectattr('attributes.unit_of_measurement', 'equalto', 'kWh')
        | rejectattr('state', 'in', ['unavailable', 'unknown'])

sensors:
    current_consumption:
        {{ expand('group.energy') 
        | selectattr('attributes.unit_of_measurement', 'equalto', 'W')
        | rejectattr('state', 'in', ['unavailable', 'unknown'])

utility_meter:
  daily_energy:
    source: sensor.energy_total
    cycle: daily

monthly_energy:
    source: sensor.energy_total
    cycle: monthly

I just didnt wanted to create 2 groups if it was not necessary. It will be easier to maintain this way.
It is unfortunate that I need to use groups to avoid that warning spam. I would prefer for it to be fully automatic, as I keep adding and removing those esp devices a lot.

1 Like

if you want to be super lazy with your group. Create an automation that fires at startup, iterates your sensors and creates the group with all entities that end in ā€˜energyā€™. You could even have it execute on template reload.

I can have an automation to create and update a group? that would actually solve the issue, if I could have group update like every hour.
I have to research this.
Having dynamic groups could be really powerful tool.

So what do you envision you will use in the automationā€™s Template Trigger? Obviously something that monitors all sensors to check for new ones, like states.sensor ā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face: (EDIT: Just joking. No need to monitor all sensors. Itā€™s highly unlikely that new sensors are being created so frequently.)

The very end of the first post in this thread demonstrates how to use a python_script to dynamically generate a group.

no reason to have it update every hour. Just have it update when things reload or you restart. Every hour is overkill.

What is the use-case that causes such frequent additions/removals of sensor entities?