Template switch with different services to turn on

Hi, I’m trying to use a template switch to turn on multiple different services, my (obviously) wrong configuration is the following:

modo_notte:
    friendly_name: Modo notte
    value_template: "{{ (is_state('lock.porta_ingresso', 'locked')) and (is_state('light.cameretta', 'off')) and (is_state('light.cucina', 'off')) and (is_state('light.soggiorno', 'off')) and (is_state('light.ingresso', 'off')) and (is_state('light.ripostiglio', 'off')) and (is_state('switch.salotto_luci_vetrina', 'off')) }}"
    turn_on:
      service: switch.turn_off
      data:
        entity_id: switch.salotto_luci_vetrina
    turn_on:
      service: lock.lock
      data:
        entity_id: lock.porta_ingresso   
    turn_on:                 
      service: light.turn_off
      data:
        entity_id: light.cameretta, light.cucina, light.ingresso, light.ripostiglio           
    turn_off:
      service: lock.unlock
      data:

What the right way?

There are multiple changes I would make to make this work.

First, I would use homeassistant.turn_off instead of light or switch. That way, you can use a single service to turn off lights and switches.

Second, you need to list the services instead of using a single service. This is defined by using a - in the turn_on/turn_off section. They are like actions, they can contain a single service or multiple if you format it correctly.

3rd, I’d try to shorten the value_template. Some people don’t like this because it is more complicated. Anways, what it does is search through all the lights listed in the list, finds which ones are off. Then it compares the length of the off list to the length of the list you provided. If they are not equal, that means one of the lights is on. The beauty of this format is that if you get more lights, you just need to add it to the list. Quick and easy. You could even put all your lights into a group and adjust the formula so you don’t need to call out the list.

Using a list:

modo_notte:
    value_template: >
      {% set locked = is_state('lock.porta_ingresso', 'locked') %}
      {% set lights = [ 'light.cameretta', 'light.cucina', 'light.soggiorno', 'light.ingresso', 'light.ripostiglio', 'switch.salotto_luci_vetrina' ] %}
      {% set off = states | selectattr('entity_id', 'in', lights) | selectattr('state','eq','off') | list %}
      {{ locked and off | length == lights | length }}
    turn_on:
      - service: lock.lock
        data:
      - service: homeassistant.turn_off
        data:
          entity_id: light.cameretta, light.cucina, light.ingresso, light.soggiorno, light.ripostiglio, switch.salotto_luci_vetrina
    turn_off:             
      - service: lock.unlock
        data:

This next example uses a group. It’s very complicated code but all you have to do for maitnence is add a light to a group instead of modifying your switch template. I used an example group with the entity id of group.mylights.

modo_notte:
    value_template: >
      {% set locked = is_state('lock.porta_ingresso', 'locked') %}
      {% set lights = state_attr('group.mylights','entity_id') %}
      {% set off = states | selectattr('entity_id', 'in', lights) | selectattr('state','eq','off') | list %}
      {{ locked and off | length == lights | length }}
    turn_on:
      - service: lock.lock
        data:
      - service: homeassistant.turn_off
        data_template:
          entity_id: >
             {{ states | selectattr('entity_id', 'in', state_attr('group.mylights', 'entity_id')) | selectattr('state', 'eq', 'on') | map(attribute='entity_id') | list | join(', ') }}
    turn_off:             
      - service: lock.unlock
        data:
2 Likes

Simply… WOW! :astonished:

Sir,
I have a requirement for 18 switches which are there in my home assistant. Whenever there is a change in the state i need to notify the user thru notify mobile app. i am able to do the later, but am not sure how to write a single automation to notify for all the switches state change.
Thanks.

Not sure I follow you. The likelihood of more than 1 state change occurring at a time is extremely unlikely.

Ok sir thank you