Template to toggle Blink alarm

Hi all, I have added my blink camera, and wish to add a switch to toggle the alarm on and off, as per https://home-assistant.io/components/blink/ Currently my switch is neither reading the state of the alarm, or setting it when I toggle the switch. However manually toggling the alarm state on in ‘States’ does work so not sure what is wrong here… Thanks in advance!

I don’t think binary_sensor.turn_on is a service, I don’t see it in dev, only switch.turn_on or script.turn_on

Yes, I think I may be toggling the sensor without actually arming the system. Could someone explain this? Thanks

I set up an automation from the switch below, but there is an error…

Not sure if this could help, but try calling the service as blink.arm_system with this

- service: blink.snap_picture
  device_armed: "True"

thinking this, because of the documentation saying the payload needs to be like this

Other thought I had was actually trying to take the binary_sensors and adding as a sensor template. I had set up in OctoPrint for my 3D Printer. I was trying to change the Icon display for when off and on. I couldn’t get it to work in the binary_sensor templates. But when I called it in the sensor templates it worked.

sensor:
    #### Templates ####
    - platform: template
      sensors:
        # 3D Printer sensors
        printing_status:
          friendly_name: 'Printing Status'
          value_template: '{{states.binary_sensor.octoprint_printing.state}}'
          icon_template: '{% if is_state("binary_sensor.octoprint_printing", "off") %}mdi:sleep{% else %}mdi:printer-3d{% endif %}'
        printing_error_status:
          friendly_name: 'Printing Error Status'
          value_template: '{{states.binary_sensor.octoprint_printing_error.state}}'
          icon_template: '{% if is_state("binary_sensor.octoprint_printing_error", "off") %}mdi:thumb-up-outline{% else %}mdi:thumb-down{% endif %}'

i’m thinking if you use this approach (not this specific application for icons), but call out the binary_sensor.blink_armed_status, and look for state of “False” or “True”. Then you could see if this is reading correctly.

Sorry - i don’t have Blink Cameras to test specifically, but i’m helping a friend who does, so I’m interested in your progress.

OK, finally go this to work, although after switching the switch toggles off again for about 15 seconds since the arm_system takes about that long to toggle on behind the scenes. :joy:

1 Like

that’s great you got it working!

So are you just saying that the toggle switch took about 15 seconds for it to show the correct state? If so, man that’s a long delay time.

Have you messed around much with the cameras and updating the snapshot? My friend’s end goal is to have an automation where the cameras send him a notification when they detect motion during certain hours. And I’m thinking it would be really cool if attached to that notification was the snapshot it took when it sensed motion.

Yes it takes between 10 - 15 seconds for the Blink to actually toggle state, I think that’s just a limitation of the camera. Made some progress:

The switch:

The script:

The automation:

Unfortunately the snap_picture service appears to take several minutes to update the image displayed…

This script currently not working…

There is also a bug with the blink battery sensor I think, it always reports ‘3’ for me.

Thanks for this, I was having trouble setting up a script too. Your examples are much clearer than what is under the blink component on the HA site.

Great :slight_smile: Is snap_picture working for you?

I haven’t worked on the snap_picture yet, just getting the armed/disarmed working in my automation.

edit: I’m also not getting a proper update on HA as to whether it is armed or not. Seem’s like it never polls for anything.

That happens to me from time to time. Restarting HASS fixes in my case

I can only get SNAP to work… ARM and DISARM doesnt work and status always just shows ON even when off.

Never mind…had to reboot blink sync module

Hi,

I’m having trouble getting snap_picture to work. It seems that the sensor info updates but the image never refreshes. I’ve studied the names and I’m certain there are no typos, can anyone spot anything wrong at all?

Many thanks

Im pretty sure snap_picture is broken

It works fine for me. Do note that the blink cam is sending the image to the blink cloud servers first. Another process checks for an update (periodically) and refreshes the image. This takes a while…

I use the same service call, albeit that my friendly_name has no spaces in it (only difference, shouldn’t matter).

1 Like

thanks b10m. I reset the cameras and set them back up not changing the friendly name from the default and they now work. Just need to work out what I can do to improve the Blink sync module to camera signal, but that’s a matter outside of this forum!

Hi All,

Trying to get this to work as a sensor for outside lights.

Do you just go with “if notification count increases”

Advice appreciated.

// Gary

Hi there, thinking of getting a couple of XTs for outside…What’s the delay between Blink detecting motion and that showing up as an event in HA? Is it short enough to be effective in activating lights? Thanks :slight_smile:

Has anyone figured out how to enable/disable individual camaras using blink.arm_camera?
Having a hard time getting it to work. System on/off works great.

Thx.