Temporary scenes broken?

I have a few automations that flash the apps brand colors behind my TV when I launch apps on Roku (ie a flash of red when I launch YouTube, blue for Prime Video, etc.). This has been working perfectly for months, but suddenly stopped. It changes the color to red but doesn’t reset to the previous color.

Even if I manually run each step of the automation, it says each step is successfully run, but it doesn’t reload the scene.

Did something change with this ability to create a scene on the fly and recall it?

alias: YouTube Launch
description: ""
trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id:
      - media_player.living_room_roku
    attribute: app_name
    to: YouTube
condition: []
action:
  - data:
      scene_id: tvlightprior
      snapshot_entities:
        - light.tv_light
    action: scene.create
  - data:
      color_name: red
      transition: 0.5
    target:
      entity_id: light.tv_light
    action: light.turn_on
  - delay:
      hours: 0
      minutes: 0
      seconds: 2
      milliseconds: 0
  - data:
      transition: 2
    target:
      entity_id: scene.tvlightprior
    action: scene.turn_on
mode: single
1 Like

Nope, look in your logs for errors.

I’m having the exact same issue right now with some automations to revert. It’s definitely broken, and I’m happy I’m not the only one experiencing it.

I reported this months ago, I’ve almost got rid of all my saved scenes and gone with scripts and trying to work out what to apply and when. Something so simple shouldn’t remain broken for so long.

Someone here who has the issue, needs to report it with concrete evidence that this issue exists with a method to recreate it. Creating and applying scenes works as expected on both my production machine and my development machine.

If the issue can’t be found by the developer, nothing can be fixed. Unfortunately, we can’t just take your word for it, there needs to be a way to replicate the issue on a development machine in order to fix it.

I recently noticed this as well.

I believe I first noticed it in the July release but thought it was merely a temporary glitch. I now see that the issue is still present in the August release.

Some lights (Philips Hue) are not restored to their previous state (typically a dimmer state) using a scene that is created on the fly (they’re now simply turned off). It used to work prior to the July release.

Someone recently opened an Issue for the problem:

Z2M?

Using the Philips Hue integration.

1 Like

As luck would have it, now when I try to create a simple automation to demonstrate the problem, I can’t reproduce it on any light that I test (Hue or Z2M); they all get restored to their original state. :man_shrugging:

Think I’ll say no more about this alleged issue until I have time to experiment with it in greater detail.

1 Like

It’s definitely Hue bulbs (for me on Z2M). They simply don’t revert to off again.

1 Like

To be clear, if the light was off when the temp scene was created, when it is applied the light does not return to the off state (the only Hue bulb in the temp scene).