Terminal Color Format

I am running HA on a Raspberry Pi and for some reason I mistakenly hit a command (I don’t know what it was) but the terminal output was all color coded. For example the INFO: messages were in green and ERROR: was in red thus making it easier to see what HA was doing as it was booting up. Now for some reason that has gone away. I would like to bring it back if I can. Thanks in advance!!!

Pip install colorlog

1 Like

Do you know if that needs to be installed IN the HASS env? I’ve used the AiO installer.

That did not work for me… I did ‘sudo pip3 install colorlog’ and rebooted my pi and nothing.

It should probably be installed in the Hass environment.

What exactly does that mean? Newbie here:)

You have to activate the virtual environment for you hass installation.

Run
source PATH_TO_YOUR_VENV/bin/activate

Thanks however I did install it in the HASS virtual environment and still nothing…

So why did you use sudo pip ?

I get this: bash: pip: command not found
so I tried pip3 install colorlog and got this Collecting colorlog Using cached colorlog-2.10.0-py2.py3-none-any.whl Installing collected packages: colorlog Exception: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pip/basecommand.py", line 215, in main status = self.run(options, args) File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pip/commands/install.py", line 342, in run prefix=options.prefix_path, File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pip/req/req_set.py", line 784, in install **kwargs File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 851, in install self.move_wheel_files(self.source_dir, root=root, prefix=prefix) File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pip/req/req_install.py", line 1064, in move_wheel_files isolated=self.isolated, File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 345, in move_wheel_files clobber(source, lib_dir, True) File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pip/wheel.py", line 316, in clobber ensure_dir(destdir) File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/pip/utils/__init__.py", line 83, in ensure_dir os.makedirs(path) File "/usr/lib/python3.4/os.py", line 237, in makedirs mkdir(name, mode) PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/colorlog'

It seems that you do not have activated the virtual environment for HASS.
This will depend of how you installed HASS. Try to read this: https://home-assistant.io/getting-started/installation-raspberry-pi-all-in-one/#upgrading

I installed HASS the manual way and know how to get it into the virtual mode by executing this command: source /srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/bin/activate