Testing AdGuard using canyoublockit.com. How to make it better?

I recently installed the adguard add-on and set it up. But when I use the canyoublockit.com site, I still see adds. Turn my AdBlockPlus on my browser back on and ads are gone. How can I make AdGuard better?

First picture it the site just using AdGuard. Second is using AdBlockPlus chrome add-on.

That’s because chrome does not respect your dns settings like it should as far as I know.

I dont think thats it. Same in Firefox and Edge. I know AdGuard is working as I see statistics, but its just not blocking as much as ABP. I searched and found other blocklists and added them to AG, but no help. This is kinda weird. Maybe its just that because the test site isnt a “real” ad site?

I would test following things:

1. Does the Count rise when you try to enter the site?

2. what happens when you block the specific client?
    grafik

3. Do you have something like a secondary DNS configured? If yes, then the Ad will be blocked, but your PC/Phone/Device will ask secondary DNS.

4. Where have you changed DNS Settings? Are you Using Windows? How do they look like?

Try disabling Async DNS resolver and then clearing the host cache in the chrome browser and try again to see if it makes any difference.

@The-May

Im not home right now but my home PC is running Widows. I changed DNS setting for TCP4 to manual and pointed to IP of my HA. Previous to that, I went into my Google mesh router and manually entered the DNS IP as well to cover all devices in my house that connect to that router.

I have no secondary DNS cofigured as far as I know. And I did test yesterday by changing the DNS in my google mesh router to something else and then when trying to browse to a website, I was unable to. So to me, that proves the only DNS I am using is AdGuard.

I will try to block my PC tonight and try @rossk suggestions.

BTW, the nature of ad blocking mechanisms are different between browser plug-ins like ABP, and DNS-based blocking like AdGuard / Pi-Hole.

In simplest terms, the former analyze the page via your browser’s rendering engine, so comprehensive blocking is more feasible. OTOH, the latter blocks the ads that are served via ad sites / addresses.

If you read the testing page, the same testing sites you had also mentioned some of those aspects.

And the best test is to test your everyday sites… I would do comparisons on, say, yahoo.com or cnn.com or independent.co.uk, etc.

1 Like