Testing new integration - Brother Printer

Thanks, still haven’t found time to add this but I will… eventually!

New beta works great, just as the old! Thanks again.

1 Like

Works great with MFC-L8900CDW too. Thanks for this integration!

1 Like

Hy, I’m pretty new here. I added the all the files inside the brother folder to my custom components folder. And I can’t find any new integration in Home Assistant. Could someone help because I would like to test this out with the Brother MFC-L8690CDW printer.
Thank you in advance,
Dieter

After HA restart go to Settings -> Integrations and click button with + sign.

And what would than be the new name of the integration? Because I can’t find something like brother or printer

Hi,

I think I am facing the same issue as dietervanlombergen. Added all files under custom_components/brother, but there’s something wrong with the strings. Trying to search for ‘Brother’ in Integrations gives me an empty string, and clicking that gives a screen apparently related to this integration but no clue as to what to enter there.

I am using Home Assistant latest release (0.103.5) in English, if that helps. Debug logs did not show anything, even after enabling debug logging for this integration.

Thanks for the effort on making this happen!

Also tested with non-English language setting (Finnish), facing the same result. And yes, I did a reboot after adding the files under custom_components.

It means that:

• you didn’t restart HA after component install
  • you installed component in wrong way

You skipped folder .translations during install.

Indeed, I was using macOS and uploading files using the Configurator plugin. It does not display directories starting with a ‘.’. Thanks for the quick assistance, might be worthwhile to add a note about this to the instructions.

Okay, now I am getting ‘SNMP server turned off or printer not supported’ with my HL-2250DN. This is my first time setting up anything with SNMP though, and I am not sure what would be the OID of my router (USG) to use (others seem to have the same issue: https://community.ui.com/questions/USG-and-Switch-SNMP-MIBs/066e310e-966e-4dbe-b8ad-c866192f9224).

Now I realize this is more of an issue with my router than with your custom component, but if someone has an idea of what would be the OID of Unifi USG (non-pro) that would be much appreciated. The one suggested by documentation for Edgerouter did not seem to work.

It’s not related with router. SNMP uses UDP connections and every router supports that. You have to check in your printer’s WWW panel that SNMP server is turned on.

Ahh, thanks for the heads-up. Did check the WWW panel from my printer, SNMP is indeed enabled. I guess HL-2250DN is just not supported then. It is a pretty ancient model so not really surprised. But thank you very much for your help, at least I got to learn something new about networking.

Tried enabling debug logging as well but could not really see anything useful under Developer - Logs.

Tested on HL-3150CDN, works a treat.

Just had an initial issue with the translations folder not uploading as my Mac hid the folder due to the name.

Works great on a HL-L3290CDW (color "laser). Haven’t gotten it working on my ancient HL-2270DW yet - but I think it’s user error. (it says no SNMP, but I can’t remember the password to see if it’s enabled or not…)

I pulled request to add this integration to the HA repo. Everyone is most welcome to make a review. https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/30359

2 Likes

SNMP is enabled on my 2270DW, so I suspect the same issue as @henrikbla - the printer is just too old, same screenshot of the Network configuration too.

The integration has been marged and will be available in HA 0.104.

Please remove integration and component’s files before update HA to version 0.104.

1 Like