The Awair integration should switch to use the local API instead of the cloud-based API

Currently the Awair integration uses the cloud-based API that Awair provides. The setup is fairly simple since all it requires is the dev token from Awair.

However for the past 6 months or so the cloud-based service has become fairly unreliable from Awair resulting in a poor experience, such as the thread I created about this a few weeks ago.

Awair offers a local API that can be enabled in the app and exposes a REST end-point with more information than the cloud-based service and completely reliable since it’s local. This can currently be setup in HA by adding a manual REST platform end-point and sensors.

Ideally the Awair integration would ask for the Awair IP address and use that instead (the sensors are always the same for every Awair element unit). Asking for the IP address instead of the token is a bit more work for the end-user, but certainly not unheard of in HA integrations (for example the IKEA TRÅDFRI integration requires it).

I may have some spare time coming up and could assistant in creating a new (or extend the existing?) Awair integration to be able to use the local API if this is something that is acceptable to HA.

I agree. Having trouble today with getting data via the cloud API. Very irritating - a local solution would be ideal.

I set it up locally using the REST service and it’s been almost flawless.

Really don’t suggest using the cloud option anymore.

2 Likes

Thanks. Just got it working on this end as well. Works great, nice to be decoupled from the cloud. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like