💡 The Everything Light - Trigger a light any way and turn it on in any way

Hi there,

Firstly - thanks for pulling this together, it was really straight forward to follow the instructions (I think!)

I’m having an issue though, I can see the triggers I set being triggered when I flip my switch (it says triggered in the trigger setup window), however the devices I’m wanting to control aren’t reacting?! They’re all hue/zigbee lights.

When I look at the automation it say’s it has never been triggered.

The trace timeline says

Stopped because of unknown reason "null" at January 3, 2024 at 8:52:37 AM (runtime: 0.00 seconds)

Not sure what other information I can provide that would be helpful, but yeah - nothing happening for me!

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments, it means a lot.

Could you go through the step details in the traces and see what it says there?

Hey!

I just found out what the problem was. The IKEA sensor doesn’t allow you to add a ‘no motion seen’ timer.

So I just put that delay on 0 and it’s working!

Thanks for your time and effort in helping this rookie.

Have a good one!

1 Like

I had a similar issue during testing: I had changed my light sensor entity name so it wasn’t correctly setup.
Can you double check that alle entity names in your automation configuration are correct?

Hey Anton, I ended up getting what I needed working with another blueprint.

When I get a sec I’ll try yours again (it’s more flexible), however from memory, all the entity names were correct (selected from dropdown)

1 Like

As a newbie to this blueprint it is a bit confusing to have first Tiggers and then Conditions in the top section and in DYNAMIC mode you have first Turn Off Conditions and then down below Turn Off Triggers… took me a few minutes to figure that out. Might be a minor improvement to just switch the order around in the bottom.

Edit: looks like the Turn Off Conditions are not checked at all in DYNAMIC mode when the trigger is reached, is that true?

Hi Freddeh,

Thanks for this feedback.
Seems to be a fair observation, so I’ll modify this for the next release.

Yes, the nature of dynamic mode is that you can set the maximum or minimum brightness to 0% (effectively turning it off). You can prevent this from happening by choosing other values or changing the values for ‘over max’ and ‘under min’. See screen capture below.

NEW RELEASE:

09/01/2024 - Version 2.1

• Corrected a bug where the automation would not run unless an optional light sensor was selected.
  • Removed the ‘don’t turn the lights off’ option since it was redundant and could cause an error.
  • Changed the order of the turn off selectors to make them more user-friendly (Thanks @freddeh for the feedback).
  • Modified selector descriptors to make the automation more user friendly.
  • Modified the automation description for better legibility.
  • Moved some default values around for better consistence in the code base.
  • Slight modifications to templates for consistency and legibility.

This has been modified in today’s release.

Might be a silly question – I’m just starting out with HA – but how do you toggle?
If I press the button, it turns on my lights. But I want a press to toggle. Do you seen what I mean?

Thanks for the work though! It looks amazing

1 Like

It’s not a silly question at all:
Activate the turn off function ‘turn of with trigger’ and set your trigger to the same button.
Then add a condition that checks if the light is on.

See example below:

Thanks a lot!

Makes sense, I’m still lacking some reflexes like this mental puzzle :slight_smile:
That being said, it works… but one light always re-turn ON right after. I’m trying to toggle a light group.

Even if I only target that one light, it blinks (toggle off and on immediately I’m assuming). I must have a conflict somewhere.

Thanks for the support!

Check the Traces (go to the Automation, you’ll see traces in the top right).
They will give you an overview of what happens in each step.
If there is any weirdness, just post it here or send me a message so I can have a look.

1 Like

Hello and thanks for a great blueprint!
Have been using it for a while and it has worked very well and easy to set up, especially after the latest update (after feedback from another user).

But ran into a “problem” today when I was going to make an automation with a power outlet activate on motion and realized that this blueprint doesn’t support switches.

Would it be possible to add support for switches?

I can confirm there is something fishy.
I added some cards to see if it was a group trigger or something else, but through the card it works as expected, meaning I toggle on and off both lights :confused:
On screenshot, it’s the Hue ambiance lamp 1 at fault.

Any traces you’d like to see?

@AntonH Actually, managed to replicate the behaviour with another condition for toggling on: expecting that group is off.
Seems a bit overkill to have both, but it works as expected.

Thanks for your help!

Agreed, it’s possible to select switch entity types at this moment, but not yet to control them.
It’s not a big issue as switch entity type only turn on and off, so they only support the DEFAULT mode, however it’s something that needs to be address.

It’s on the list for a future release.

thanks for the feedback.

NEW RELEASE:

10/01/2024 - Version 2.2

• Added support for switch entities (Only DEFAULT & TOGGLE modes are supported due to the nature of this entity type)
  • Added a new TOGGLE mode, allowing users to toggle light and switch entities with a simple setup instead of using the turn off triggers.
  • Adjusted and corrected descriptions to make the blueprint more user-friendly
  • Correcting some spelling errors

A new TOGGLE mode has been added to some this issue.

1 Like

Support for switches has been added.
Due to the nature of how this entity type works, only default and toggle modes are supported though.