The future of YAML

Thanks for such a well documented method of keeping YAML config alive!

4 Likes

For the record as well on my particular experience:

The components where I tried this: cast, harmony, roomba, spotify.

• In the case of cast, I also manually removed the warning that was added recommending the UI set up over the YAML.

• I also downgraded hue. However, I did not find any version where YAML was fully supported. If someone finds a good version, let me know. However, I downgraded to a copy on a point of history where YAML was still detected so it doesn’t get removed in the future. Not perfect, but better some support than none, I guess?

I was stuck on 0.109 and I was able to upgrade to 0.113.3 after doing this.

I moved all the Device to Entity, and had to change a few configurations as explained (e.g. cast to media_player, roomba to vacuum).

1 Like

Like you I was staying put on an earlier version but I was looking at digging in somewhere. After reading all the new release notes and considering how trouble free testing an update is when you are using a container version of core HA I decided to move ahead to 0.113.0 and have now stopped at 0.113.2 for now and have not had any impact from loss of YAML config for my list of integrations. I am finding the improvement in the database that has come with 0.113.x has been fantastic so thanks to those who have worked hard on that! In fact I have NEVER been able to use “Logbook” or “History” for more than a day or so after a new release until 0.113.x and in fact they load quite briskly on my QNAP NAS. Again congrats to all involved in that advance!

Haha…Maybe you could post this method as a PR to the HA YAML Documentation?

In any case this section is so far out of date and bordering on being utterly irrelevant right now:

Home Assistant uses the YAML syntax for configuration. YAML might take a while to get used to but is really powerful in allowing you to express complex configurations.

For integrations that you want to use in Home Assistant, you add code in your configuration.yaml file to specify its settings. This especially applies to integrations that are not yet available to configure through the UI.

I can’t contribute to non-owned repositories without adding my employer as an owner, which I do not really fancy. Also, I kinda was told that my proposals are not very well welcomed, so I do not see if it would get approved :slight_smile:

Nonetheless, I would be happy if someone else adds it there.

2 Likes

I understand your situation. For my part I have looked at the process of editing the docs by adding a PR in the past to rectify errors or outdated rubbish and bailed out because it was simply too onerous a task.
And always with the possibility the PR will not be approved!

And as I type this I get this load of bilge shouting at me from the preview pane:

Encourage everyone to get involved in the conversation

You’ve replied 3 times to @nitobuendia in this particular topic!

A great discussion involves many voices and perspectives. Can you get anybody else involved?

And don’t forget, if you’d like to continue your conversation with this particular user at length outside of public view, send them a personal message.

Yeah right!

I’ve been able to submit documentation PRs and get them approved, it’s honestly not that bad :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thats good for you then…keep up the good work!

Let’s say I want to start with a clean HA install, I don’t want to restore snapshots… Before with yaml, just overwrite the configuration.yaml file, and everything was setup… How to do it now with config flow?

So you want to partially restore a backup (the configuration.yaml part) but not the rest?

Indeed, just some integrations at once, like copy pasting some stuff from yaml file

I think you are out of luck.

But UI configs are generally quick and easy to set up.

Hmm, that’s too bad , was so easy before

1 Like

And has been discussed to death.

Is it possible too use secrets with config flow , like with add-ons?

Read the thread.

Addons don’t use config flow but are configured in the addon as they always have been.

I know, I use secrets in add-ons , I was just wondering if secrets could also be used in config flow

I don’t think so. Try it… you will likely find it will convert to text to put in .storage even if it works…

As far as I understand, no, you cannot. You will be prompted in the UI to input the data. I’ve gathered this as one of the user flows that are broken, but based on the answers, it doesn’t seem like the NabuCasa team cares. I’ve posted quite a bit on alternatives to get back to YAML as well as why it’s a bad idea to remove YAML support.