The Future of Z-Wave in HA - QT-OpenZWave

I’ve noticed that if I manually turn the knob, then OZW (and HA by extension) is not getting updated. If I tell HA to lock/unlock, then it updates as normal. I’m going to submit an issue with an MQTT dump.

1 Like

Did you test this with the latest version too?

Speaking of locks, I havent had any luck switching my Schlage lock over from SmartThings to HA via the new OZW integration. I get Notification_Code_MsgTimeout when trying to issue any commands to the lock. It was included via secure inclusion, but something during the process isnt proceeding correctly as the lock responds with inclusion failed, though the MQTT topics are populated for the node anyway…

Did you make sure you have a network key set?

Yes. My other Zwave + devices require it.
On another note, when I look at my key I see that I didnt include quotations. Its possible that I may need to change it, but then my 16 other zwave devices may quit working…crap

Don’t mess with your key if it’s working. Try this first:

1. Exclude the lock (yes sounds crazy but try it anyways)
  2. Exclude it one more time for good measure
  3. Include it again.

Then check your lock status.

1 Like

I chose not to mess with it due to reading that the key may have been auto generated back when I first set up OZW.
I have tried those steps already actually. Including the exclude more than once. Exclusion is instant and results in a green light on the lock. It does seem to be a bug here, as I get CTRL_STATE_FAILED when excluding (likely because the lock and HA arent communicating correctly during inclusion). When I tried the removefailednode command, OZW will crash.
Inclusion causes a new node to be created, but there are ghost nodes from my previous attempts so I am at node 28 now, but I only have 20 devices.
I see an entry for this particular smart lock (BE469ZP) in Github so I know it is supported by OZW, I just cant get any meaningful error from the add and remove process so far.

I think @ptdalen knows the rain dance to perform to get this type of lock working.

Yeah, when I’ve had issues this usually worked for me. Of course make sure there is a secure node key, etc.

1. Unplug the lock and plug back in, wait about 30-60 seconds
  2. Exclude the lock (and then again for safe measure, like you said)
  3. Restart HA. Make sure the lock and all entities are gone (they should be)
  4. Factory reset the lock
    1. Disconnect the batteries. …
    2. Press and hold the outside Schlage button.
    3. While holding the outside Schlage button, reconnect the batteries.
    4. Release the outside Schlage button. …
    5. To check that the lock was reset , press the outside Schlage button and enter one of the default access codes.
  5. Probably unnecessary,but I restart HA (probably the OZW now, not sure have not used it yet, but you get the idea) again just to be safe
  6. Wait for a good 5-10 minutes to make sure your zwave is fully up and running, all other nodes are “ready”, etc.
  7. Then add the lock secure

of course you’ll have to add the codes you want back to the door, and for now I believe you’ll have to that manually until adding codes becomes available… If you odnt have your instructions laying around on how to load codes - https://www.schlage.com/en/home/faq.html?id=131752 should help

Are you using a kwikset 914?

I’m actually using a Kwikset 916

I have a 914

I got it working. Looks like my network key wasnt in the correct format (hex). Managed to find that log entry on the OZW-admin session. Thanks for your help @firstof9 and @ptdalen

2 Likes

For those that are having issues with Locks not updating the status - You may need to apply a “fix” for the config file for your devices. If the config file for your device contains a TriggerRefreshValue block in it - Its a “workaround” as these devices dont send Lock Updates, but Notification Updates. That block triggers OZW to refresh the lock status, but with the migration from OZW 1.4 to 1.6, not all config files got updated (as I don’t have these devices to test against).

You can see one PR that went in today to fix Kwikset 914 devices: https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave/pull/2256/files

2 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be any config xml files for the 916 at https://github.com/OpenZWave/open-zwave/tree/master/config/kwikset. What can I do to help generate them?

Does OZWdaemon download the XMLs from the internet?
If so is there a command to force a re-download or just restart the container?

When I add a new device through the built-in admin panel open zwave pulls down the device name, manufacturer info, config info (not 0x0x0x0) and even a picture of my device (all GE/Jasco devices). After a restart of openzwave all the names and user/config values are blank and they don’t repopulate. The entities still work and toggle the switches but the ozwadmin panel doesn’t show any of their info.

So…I think that the docker container on ubuntu is somehow not keeping the device cache files but am unsure how to fix this. I installed the integration through the home assistant front end user interface.

Any help is appreciated.

EDIT: I believe it was a mqtt error that only granted read and not write permissions. After switching the default mqtt install to allow anonymous login (better probably to setup passwords) things seems to persist.

Although if your using the ozwdaemon addon (and not the ozwdaemon from OZW) your going to have to jump through a LOT of hoops it seems to get to the config file.

Aha, looks like it does exist, it’s just using a generic xml file for all kwikset locks

<Product config="kwikset/smartcode.xml" id="0642" name="SmartCode 916" type="0003"/>

which makes sense, because the lock was detected normally with all the info.

At the moment, I am using the HA addon, but I was running ozwdaemon:allinone for a while and still have the docker-compose set up, just stopped. It’s a simple operation to stop the addon and start the latest allinone.

Are these things documented anywhere? Understand if they are not, but I’d like to not bug you for things I can read on my own…