The Future of Z-Wave in HA - QT-OpenZWave

QT_LOGGING_RULES is part of the QT5 logging framework, which is what ozwdaemon (and qt-openzwave) is built on, so that is documented. What is not explicitly documented, however, are all of the logging categories that you might want to filter on. For now at least, you can check the source code for the default logging rules. You would also have to search the source code for QT_LOGGING_CATEGORY to see what ozw logging categories are defined. You can of course also observe the category names in the logs themselves. I suppose a rule of "*=true" might enable every category and every severity, but I haven’t tried it.

I don’t know if the logging categories for QT components are documented anywhere, but if so it would have to be in their respective documentation or code.

Awesome @Fishwaldo, thanks - this is exactly what I wanted to see before jumping in. I’ll give it a shot!

I am trying to move from the original Z wave implementation to this one (using official addon on HassOS) but have two issues:

• sensative strips are not recognized while they were recognized in the old implementation. I do see that the node is activated but no binary sensor is created. In the OZW gui admin I see the node but nothing can be changed there (because previously I had to change Basic mode to binary mode)

• how do associations work? I have a light in the bathroom that activates a z wave swithc with a fan. In the OZW gui admin I see a tab “Associations” but there only is a field “Max groups”

You most likely have to wake the device and send a refresh node command to the device.

EDIT: I can help with that if you don’t know where to begin.

Hahah, I just saw your edit. So waking up the device I can, but I do not know where to find the refresh node command? In the old implementation there was in the z wave section a simple “refresh node” Is it in the OZW gui?

So alot of these commands simply aren’t built into qt-openzwave yet. So you have to use MQTT to push commands to it.

Easiest way I found was to download MQTT explorer. Connected to your MQTT server (should be homeassistant.local, or the IP of your pi). Then when connected, there’s a button that allows you to post to topics.

Assuming that you only have 1 zwave network, you’ll be posting to the topic

OpenZWave/1/command/refreshnodeinfo/

with the following json

{
  "node": 4
}

Assuming node 4 is what you’re updating.

All the commands and documentation are here.

1 Like

Is it correct that these associations are then NOT done in zwave but solely in mqtt? Thus they are volatile?

Thx a lot, I will try later. Tonight I return back to the normal Z wave integration before it is dark and lights will not go on…

Petro thank you for the explanation, i was just about to google that :slight_smile:
But i still have a question.
I am trying to do a give the command:

hardResetController

What do i type in in the json section?
If i leave it blank it doesn’t do anything

thanks upfront,
br,
Raymond

Nothing, just leave it emtpy. You may just need

{}

but I would try it empty first.

The associations would be done in openzwave, not just mqtt. I don’t have much experience with them so you will have to defer to fishwaldo.

I tried posting this topic

OpenZWave/1/command/hardResetController/

with and without the following

{}

But nothing happens. I get no return

br,
Raymond

You won’t get a return. A separate event topic may or may not be created (depending on the call). You should watch the openzwave logs and see if you notice an indication that the process started.

EDIT: The response that may or may not be created will be in the events topic.

Are you sure? Where are associations stored? Normally in the zwave device itsself but since its an mqtt command and nowhere to be seen later on I doubt how that works… in another topic there was the exact same discussion…

No I am not sure, that’s why I would have to defer to fishwaldo

A separate event isn’t being created.
Also the openzwave logs isn’t showing anything.
I am using the logs in the ozwadmin tool.
nothing is showing

All topics are lowercase. hardresetcontroller.

thank you very much, that did the trick :slight_smile:

br,
Raymond

I gave this a try, and it didn’t help. Lock status always shows “Locked”/“Secured” when manually turning the lock.

Associations haven’t been implemented in ozw-admin yet.