The most compatible Air Conditioner

Hi all,
on my first floor the old Daikin has died (after only 8 years!) and it’ll be cheaper to buy a new one.
I could easily control it with the external wifi controller I added but now it seems new models are a PITA due to the new cloud API (I have one on my ground floor and I haven’t connected it to HA yet).

So, I’m looking for a new Air Conditioner and I’d like it to be easily manageable by HA but I can’t find any.
Is there any brand&model that HA can control fully via TCP/IP, avoiding IR tricks?

You can still fit the BRP072A42 controllers to most Daikin ACs for local control.

The BRP15B61 still works locally too (ducted only I think).

So I can wire a BRP072A42 to my new Daikin and turn off its embedded wifi module? Cool.
For my older one, I’ve been using a BRP069B43, don’t remember why, I remember this was the only compatible wifi controller.

But is “Daikin + external controller” the only 100% working out of the box solution?
Any other brand?

I think there’s a pretty good Mitsubishi core integration, but it is cloud based.

Also check with your dealer that the BRP072A42 is compatible. Cora & Alira systems require an extra cable.

2 Likes

Thank you!
I’m not against cloud on principle (got a cloud based heating system), even though on MELCloud website I can’t find any info about open API or app tokens so maybe they could close access from third party at any time, this could really be a possibility.

I have equipped my Mitsubishi AC units with KNX modules instead of wifi/MelCloud ones. Full local control, no API to be closed by the vendor and possibility to control 99% of features (there is one I think that is not exposed to KNX, but minor). The downside is that I had to buy KNX-IP gateway and KNX power supply + it has to be connected with KNX bus cable.

Take a look here:

1 Like

walgreenslistens Wrote:

Samsung’s range reduces drafts / hot spots and maximise airflow to increase comfort. Of the two, Daikin provides the slightly cheaper option. Overall, we rated both Daikin’s VRV system and Samsung’s range at 4 out of 5.

Does the Samsung integrate well into home assistant though?

It looks like it depends on a third party integration that hasn’t been updated for two years and has multiple outstanding issues.

Is there any update to this now in 2024?

I am in need of an aircon and I want to buy new. I see alot of them have wifi build in, but which ones can work directly with haos?

1 Like

I made very good experience with custom HACS integration GitHub - mac-zhou/midea-ac-py: Home Assistant Custom Integration for Midea Group(Hualing, Senville, Klimaire, AirCon, Century, Pridiom, Thermocore, Comfee, Toshiba, Carrier, Goodman, Friedrich, Samsung, Kenmore, Trane, Lennox, LG and much more) Air Conditioners via LAN. by Mac Zhou, which works with any Midea-manufactured applicances. It allows direct communication between AC unit and HA. Unfortunately the integration is not maintained in the last time and I saw it is flagged to be removed from the HACS store, but it works fine for me though. So, Midea AC can be a good choice.

1 Like

I have the Midea AC LAN integration

Actively maintained, supports nearly all of the features of my high-wall mini split heat pump (except annoyingly the ability to turn off the display which lights up my room at night - but no integration I’ve found thus far can do that).

It also (fully locally , no cloud) supports things like their Dishwashers etc. Only thing it doesn’t work well with is the Midea Dehumidifier (well it works, but certain things are missing)

For that I use the “Midea Air Appliances (LAN)” integration:

Along with this dehumidifier card (but this is not maintained as of 2022)

1 Like