The 'official' way

The easiest way would probably to have the Google drive backup add-on, where you would already have your snapshots stored and when you move to a new machine you’d reinstall the add-on and import the snapshot.

This is running on my Proxmox server, HassOS installed by Whiskerz script Samba addon
Out-of-the-box with only a username, workgroup and password configured.

Marc

If using a win10 device, just confirm SMABv1 is enabled on it as its disabled by default now in windows.

1 Like

Yeah I had to do that ages ago for an old NAS… does the Samba Addon not use smb2/3?

not sure as i dont use the addon, but on my samba configs i always set it to use smb3

protocol = SMB3

Actually it does

Option: compatibility_mode
Setting this option to true will enable old legacy Samba protocols on the Samba add-on. This might solve issues with some clients that cannot handle the newer protocols, however, it lowers security. Only use this when you absolutely need it and understand the possible consequences.

Defaults to false.

So you could set the compatability to true if you had SMB1 but it should work for 2 or 3 and you shouldn’t need to set windows for SMB1 compatibility.

for the login/password… root and no password…that s a HUGE security hole …

Where did anyone suggest doing that?

Whatever username/password is entered here will be what you enter in Windows etc to connect to the share in explorer - so it can be whatever you want it to be.

I really think samba is the intended/common way of dropping a backup into a new install.
Since it obviously didn’t work for you, I suggest to try it again and document the single steps so we can have a look where things go wrong.

Do you run HassOS on bare metal or any virtualization?

EDIT:
Just out of curiosity I created a VM on my PC, installed Proxmox and then HassOS on Proxmox (via whiskerz007 script).
Then I installed the samba addon, defined a password in the configuration section and started it.
Calling \\<ip> in the Win10 file explorer led me to the login which then let me access the shares.

1 Like

That’s not an official addon. You’re missing the point.

That’s an unofficial way to install it, you’re still missing the point.

3rd person who doesn’t understand the point of the thread.

I give up.

1 Like

I’m not a newbie and I am not anything like IT illiterate, simply meaning I have enough years experience in and exposure to the world of IT to understand most things, but that doesn’t by any means make me knowledgable in all of them. Migrating my system from a Pi to Proxmox was quite scary. From Proxmox to Ubuntu was equally so but I manged both with help from the community.

Which is a long winded way of saying that I dislike the term ‘newbie’. It always needs some context or else it is pretty meaningless.

…and insert other quotes here

I have a lot of sympathy for what you are trying to say/achieve here. Unfortunately the current participants don’t seem to be able to (or want to?) step into the newbie shoes (Yeah see what I did there? That was intentional :wink: )

EDIT:

Please don’t!

1 Like

Just said I’ve done exactly that, twice, using the method that is always recommended, ie this one so about as official as it gets, and it worked with no issues at all.

It’s your hardware or network set up that’s causing it and therefore self made. From my reading this is always the case when people have issues installing but most won’t accept or believe it until they have that sudden ‘Doh!’ moment.

1 Like

I wasn’t the one who chose that phrase and took @anon43302295 to mean someone new to HA looking for idiot proof instructions. My point being, if you are new to it you wouldn’t be migrating because by definition you’re then not new.

I was trying to rebuild your use case, obviously a fresh HassOS installation.
Since you didn’t specify the device you’re trying to setup HassOS on, I just chose one possible way that is quickly doable without the need to dedicate a physical device.
Whether HassOS runs in a VM or on bare metal should not have any impact on the way how the samba solution works.

Unfortunately your reaction let’s me think that you’re not interested in a solution of the problem you / others are facing with samba / restore backup. Please prove me wrong!

So which device are you using?
I have a spare RPi 3b and I’d try to replicate your issue with it.

If you just wish something like a GUI for upload and restore, like mentioned in your first post, I’d recommend to submit a Feature Request.
Maybe also support this one: Import from usb

If you’re missing documentation, please point it out explicitly.

Please tell us how you would expect it to be, maybe in form of a user story:
As a HassOS user I want to be able to restore my configuration via the GUI without the necessity of using additional plugins.

If all this misses the point of your thread, please try again to explain it to me since I’m obviously unable to understand it so far.

I added it as a Feature Request

I have done 4 restore ( have not lost data yet)

1st breaking the config file and dont what i did
2rd bad SDcard
3rd putting on to a nic
4th replacing harddrive with SSD

the 4th restore only took 2 hours

1 Like

I’m not asking for ‘one possible way’ I’m asking ‘what is the official way’. A third party script is not official.

I agree, and yet the only other person in this thread to have followed the official instructions hit the same hurdles I did. This implies that the official way to do things doesn’t work, and the only way to do it is to use third party scripts/addons/hacks - this is, I assume, not what the devs want.

Imagine buying a new car from porsche and the reversing sensor doesn’t work, would you be happy if they said “yeah, we know that doesn’t work, go to the Ford garage to see if they can fix it”?

Again, you’re missing the point. It’s not about finding ‘any’ solution to just get it working, it’s about what is the official way to do it? What do the devs invision as the solution to this problem so that a new user can do it intuitively?

The point of all of this is that it should be the other way round. The system should have an official way of working that when a new user comes here for help with they can be directed to follow it. The responses to this thread are pretty much all “you should do it like this…” followed an unofficial way to do things.

In summary, I am entirely competent at setting up homeassistant in all manner of installation types on all manner of hardware and I don’t need any help, I’m trying to establish what the proper, correct and official way to do things is so that I can go back to the devs and say

• this documentation is wrong, here’s a pull request to fix it
  • this service relies on a third party and needs an ‘official’ version
  • this service doesn’t work as intended, here is a suggestion on how to fix it

Etc

I didn’t think it was that hard a concept but it seems to have floated cleanly over the heads of most participants.

9 Likes

https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/commandline/ at the bottom of the page

i would suggest a button at startup when creating the first user ’ create user ’ or ’ import a previous configuration’ which uploads the snapshot from the browser

2 Likes

just been reading through all the posts and I think I understand what @anon43302295 is trying to say.
If I was a somewhat new user with limited experience, I’m not sure how I’d go about it either.
I think having an official way to backup / restore and offer a restore at first startup would be the way.
I’m thinking of how easy it is to restore/transfer from one iPhone to another…
(please no “android is better / iphone is better”, this is not the point / time for this)
it sounds to me like a new feature is needed for this.
Now we’ve not reached V1.0, so I also understand how this is not here yet.

1 Like