The State of Matter livestream

https://openthread.io/guides/border-router
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005717245286.html

I am so confused about setting up matter devices, I am not sure if I should go through the matter integration or the integration that corresponds to that devices manufacturer. Does this lead to duplicate devices?

Nanoleaf app, has a feature which shows you the thread border routers. It would be good for the home assistance app to do the same without having to set up the app. It would be good to see more info on Thread Network Authentication, as this seems to be a topic not covered at all. Info on ensuring you only have one thread network and not multiples in home. Thanks for all the effort.

1 Like

Thanks. A workshop would be great.

I love DIY projects and I like the flexibility of esphome. I have 46 esp devices at home (relays, sensors, switches, rfid,…).

I am not an expert in matter nor thread, but I believe matter support WiFi. Would I be able to use my esp devices flashed with esphome to get the advantages of having a connection-mesh with my existing devices? If not, will be other esp prepared for that? Esphome will give support to this new standard?

PS: I’m glad you guys are inside CSA, we need nice people in there to think first in the users :wink:

2 Likes

Espressif sort of beat ESPHome in the race, so no need for NabuCasa to enter that market.

I would be very interested in a timeline for:

• a stable thread network with multiple border routers (especially a mixture of Apple devices and OTBR devices)
  • merging existing thread networks (especially Apple and Open Thread networks)
  • moving configured devices from one thread network to a different network without having to delete, reset and reconfigure them in HA (including all automations, blueprints,…)
  • iOS apps being able to manage Matter devices in a OTBR (e.g. SkyConnect) thread network, as currently iOS ignores all non-Apple thread networks

Thanks!

Thank you, it looks promising. However, I don’t want to buy modularized hardware, I really like the freedom of esphome.

And the key points: connectivity with Home Assistant (like calling services of HA or exposing new services), automations and low programming inside the esp itself, custom components,…

Esphome is based on Espressif libraries for esp hardware, so I understand matter possibilities in esphome will come.

Will matter reduce the need for things like ZHA quirks to correct manufacter mistakes? Or do you expect even with matter and/or thread that we still need to use quirks to compensate for mistakes?

Are companies required to provide public url’s to their matter device’s firmware’s? Will HA add these public URL’s to make it easier to update a device? Always hate to sniff my network to catch a zigbee inage. I’m looking at you Aqara!

There is no freedom with matter.
You can not make other devices than what Matter have specified.

As I said at the beginning, I don’t know exactly what Matter is, perhaps I am confusing Matter with Thread. What I want is the cool IP connection protocol with low latency and mesh capabilities that I can easily use in my esp flashed with Esphome.

Thank you for your clarifications, but I still have that doubt. Maybe my question should be: Esphome is going to implement Thread? And what Esp devices will be compatible?

Do you think that there will be a situation where there will be a lot of custom endpoints in Matter, like it is with ZigBee and z-wave? How can CSA prevent it?

1 Like

Is there a timeline for documenting/supporting Matter/Thread border routers with Sky connect outside of Home Assistant OS?

2 Likes

Maybe explaining what Matter is (not) and what the (dis)advantages are as a start…

In discussions of getting Nanoleaf devices connected to Home Assistant Matter system, I got lost when the discussion turned to IPv6 setup needing to be set correctly. Can you p provide some advice if what that means?

I realise Remote HA is not part of core, is there a better option for setting up a Thread Border Router using Sky Connect when all your Matter devices are far from your Home Assistant box?

How are firmware updates managed with matter? Will we be able to do them via home assistant or will we need the eve app, nanoleaf app, and so on to update devices?

2 Likes

Got some open Matter + Thread related questions for ESPHome and HA that be nice if could answer:

1a. News about native Matter support in ESPHome firmware over WiFi on ESP32?
1b. News on Matter support in ESPHome firmware over Thread on ESP32-C6/H2?
* That is, to make our own Matter compatible devices using ESPHome on ESP32, so wondering if begun working on it as Tasmota has? → Adventures with Matter protocol on Tasmota · arendst/Tasmota · Discussion #17872 · GitHub
2. Any news on TREL (Thread Radio Encapsulation Link) support for SkyConnect?
3. Any news on native TREL support for multiple OTBR with HA’s Matter controller?
4. Any news on native support for multi-admin support in HA’s Matter integration?
5. Will Matter controllers eventually be able to join HA’s Matter Fabric?
6. Any tips or help with OTBR firmware builds for (TI) CC2652P based adapters?
7. Will the Matter integration depend on “Matter device handlers” like ZHA-quirks?

PS: Looking forward to the day when Home Assistant’s Matter controller has native for having multiple Open Thread Border Routers on its own in the same Thread network to avoid SPOF (like Zigbee has).

2 Likes

Any news on native TREL support for multiple OTBR with HA’s Matter controller?

Check this PR: openthread_border_router: Fix TREL and enable channel manager by agners · Pull Request #3396 · home-assistant/addons · GitHub

Can we expect to see credential sharing between the integrations Matter controller with SkyConnect and other Thread Border Routers soon?

https://www.threadgroup.org/news-events/blog/ID/428/Threads-2024-Enhancements-and-What-Theyll-Mean-to-You

2 Likes

My high level understanding is that Matter devices need to be certified for other devices to accept to talk to them. How do we get around that with DIY devices like a custom Home Assistant instance (which is obviously not certified)?