The State of Matter livestream

You previously said that hardware manufacturers use Home Assistant for testing their devices. Is the main purpose of HA’s Matter support to provide a standards compliance benchmark or an end user product? Because, these are sometimes contradictory goals. Like when the Matter integration recently broke some devices by removing a workaround for the devices’ faulty software. This makes it a good benchmark but was a big headache for users, who had to disable updates and roll back to a previous version.

Developers working on Matter can hopefully explain it better but FYI if interested in making a ESP32 based DIY device today then check out Tasmota-> Adventures with Matter protocol on Tasmota · arendst/Tasmota · Discussion #17872 · GitHub

Tasmota devs are also working on a Tasmota to Matter bridge that allow a user to pass along sensors from non-Matter Tasmota devices via a proxy to get the data into third-party Matter Fabric.

What difference between matter and tread

Will Home Assistant support Matter Casting?
This is a standard similar to Google Cast or Apple AirPlay. Amazon is currently implementing and pushing this standard.

2 Likes

Thread is a low-power, low-bandwidth mesh networking protocol that uses the 802.15.4 radio technology used in Matter.

1 Like

I dunno even if Matter casting is Matter casting or that Amazon because Chromecast & Airplay has far more market has created a open-source casting and called it Matter casting. I would prob say because of the approach Amazon has made with no colaboration and announcement its very likely they will not and Matter casting will only work in the Amazon ecosphere.

While probably not directly related to the home automation side of Matter that is still a very interesting question, especially if that means it could also be used an open multi-room audio streaming protocol that can be used for syncronizing music streams to Home Assistant satellite speakers.

Synchronization require something more and that is not part of the standard it seems.

For me the strangest thing about the opensource Matter Cast is I can not find the source? Does anyone know where Matter Cast source code exists as then if it syncs or not could be explained or likely the best audio sync virtual cable on Linux is GitHub - badaix/snapcast: Synchronous multiroom audio player

examples/tv-app found but nope doesn’t seem to be any sync.

1. Please cover planned Matter button improvements for triggering automations. Specifically, easily setting triggers for various multi-tap, short press and long press actions.

2. Provide a sneak peak into any Matter device management UI enhancements, such as viewing IPv6 addresses, pinging a device, etc.

Onboarding, onboarding, onboarding.

I’ve recently “lost” all of my Eve Matter devices. They bugged out, then ate up their batteries trying to reconnect. Replaced the batteries with no auto reconnect so I deleted them all from everywhere and reset them.

Now I cannot onboard them directly (using QR/PIN) to HA nor can I onboard them FROM an Android device. I have no idea whether this is because there’s a bug on the Thread/Matter implementation in HA or on Google’s end. Either way, they’re $300 worth of paperweights until I can onboard them into HA.

At this point I’m not buying any more Matter devices until some huge breakthrough, but I still have an ask…

Is it possible to offer some sort of Matter or Thread dashboard so you can see whether there are any service affecting bugs impacting HA Matter or Thread functions or bugs affecting onboarding from Android or iOS?

2 Likes

Does Home Assistant currently support light transitions over matter? If not, will this be implemented?

2 Likes

No, not yet but that will be added within a few weeks actually

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I didn’t know who’s side it was on. I’ll cancel my ticket with Leviton.

Will we have a blog post resume from the livestream?

I understand there are reasons why the initial Matter implementation relies on Google and Apple code on a mobile device; I know the roadmap mentioned ending this dependency, and I hope this is achieved soon.

What I do not understand is why Matter support for us Core users aren’t even mentioned on the roadmap presented in the livestream. What is stopping the add-on Matter process from being installed independently, like a Node-RED or Wyoming process?

Hi,

After seeing the livestream I have some basic questions.

If I understand correctly, Matter is a protocol that works over IP; and Thread and WiFi are just IP networks. So, if I have a Thread network I would expect that I could “ping” my thread devices from my laptop which could be connected over WiFi or via ethernet.

My question then is, could a matter device be connected via ethernet?

Moreover, I understood that Bluetooth was only necessary to join the IP network (not Matter per se). Would an ethernet Matter device not require Bluetooth as it could join the IP network without credentials, just by plugging the cable?

Finally, once the device has joined the network, does the Matter protocol not require further authentication? Is it automatically detected and adopted by Matter hosts already in the IP network?

I’m learning Matter like most of us, so I can’t claim to be an expert, but I believe I can answer your questions.

The Thread network does not share the same IP space as the WiFi/Ethernet networks and the Matter/Thread router is not set to bridge anything between networks other than the Matter protocol, so things like ICMP traffic from Ethernet to Thread is not possible at this time.

Since Matter is IP based, in theory a wired ethernet conneciton would work the same as a WiFi connection. Other than some Matter bridges, I’m not aware of anything with a physical connection that’s Matter certified today.

Bluetooth is used in the “commissioning” process to set up the WiFi or Thread connection, passing credentials, etc. Once it is attached to a network, it also passes the security keys to the device for authenticating to the Matter bridge/router. For that reason, there still has to be some connectivity even if on a hard-wired network.

Matter is encrypted by design. As part of the “commissioning” process over Bluetooth, the device and the bridge/router exchange “keys” for authenticating that secure connection. This is unlike ZWave or Zigbee, where the gateway can detect new devices and auto provision them. For that reason, new devices will not just be detected by bridge/router.

I hope this answers your questions.

2 Likes

Yes they confirmed this during the livestream

2 Likes

Thank you! Your answers make total sense. I was awfully unaware that Thread only allow Matter communication to the rest of the network, that is interesting to know.