The Supervisor joins the party

I have certainly posted about this in the past… discussed on discord. I didn’t regard it as a bug as such… just that the addon containers were not being created with an always restart flag… In any case this new watchdog option fixes that.

Right, because this isn’t Docker, it uses Docker but it is most certainly not 1-on-1 the same or usable in the same way.

yeah understood.

1 Like

Really wish Supervisor was supported on Core. Hopefully this will be reconsidered.

just use one of the other installation methods that have it
not everyone wants it, this way everyone has a choice

3 Likes

Or to look at it another way, if you had core + the supervisor then you may as well just have a supervised install.

2 Likes

Once NM is installed and in use on the host DBUS will pick it up.

What is dangerous about a static ip ?

5 Likes

Lovely update. I’m extremely appreciative of these great changes.

However these changes just “magically” appeared in my system. This is wrong.
All updates, HA OS, HA itself, Addons, Etc should all be upgraded BY THE USER.

Why does the supervisor update without warning and without consent from the user?

This is the only part of Home Assistant, AFAIK, that the developers have sole control over the updates, and the user cannot give consent to. Myself, and I assume most users, choose to upgrade as soon as possible, but when they are available to troubleshoot and fix any issues if/when they appear.

Supervisor version 179 completely crippled my HA install, along with many others, I was not available when the update happened all by itself (I was away for the week on business travel), so it was extremely disruptive to my home.

If we were allowed the common courtesy of choosing when we apply these updates to our own systems, that would be great (and keeping with normal standards). The current state of forced updates is extremely disruptive and not in-line with the Home Assistant mission of fully local and user-controlled automation.

5 Likes

@Silicon_Avatar The project offers multiple installation types, including ones that provide full control. Pick the one that fits your wishes best.

2 Likes

It’s been a while since I was able to check HA stuff, but I’m soo happy to see it move along and bring so many nice features. I really miss contributing to this project.

1 Like

Hmm… so far as I know it is but I don’t see that option. I setup the old generic Linux now HA supervised… does that not enable NM? I’m almost certain this installed.
My system is showing as unsupported (because I use watchtower to manage non-HA containers). Would that be why? Do unsupported installs remove that option?

My supervised install doesn’t say unsupported, but I also don’t have any network options in supervisor.

1 Like

No it does not remove it, but if the communication fails during setup (no NM access over DBUS or no valid IPv4 interface) it will be hidden.
One of my systems are unsupported:

Interesting! My domain only has an AAAA record and I use a reverse proxy to localv4ip:8123 Perhaps that is why?

No, that is for external to internal access.
This is a host (OS) feature.

Hmm… well then I have no idea why then…

+1 for no visible NM. My system is Supervised and is not showing Unsupported as managed to get everything compliant last week.

Enable debug logs ha su option --logging debug for the supervisor and open an issue with the logs from the startup of the supervisor.

So execute that command in the ssh addon and then restart the supervisor?