There's a linux .vdi, but virtualbox no longer uses .vdi?

I’m trying to use the home assistant haos_ova-13.1.vdi file in VirtualBox. But Vbox indicates that it no longer supports anything except .ovf files. What is to be done?

Are you following the official installation instructions? It sounds like you’re trying to import a virtual machine instead of creating a new one and using the disk file (vdi). https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/linux#hypervisor-specific-configuration

To the extent that I understand the instructions, yes. “Under Hard Disk, select Use an existing virtual hard disk file, select the unzipped VDI file from above.” That doesn’t work for me. As I install the OS (Ubuntu) once I select that .vdi file Ubuntu wants to erase the disk. That can’t be right. What am I missing?

If I’m supposed to “not” install an OS, but just assign the .vdi file and there’s a magical OS already there, I can’t import that .vdi file. I admit I haven’t used Vbox for a long time, but i’ve been through all of the pulldowns that seem relevant. No joy.

Yes, the VDI does contain the OS, you’re installing HAOS (Home Assistant Operating System) after all, so there’s no need to install Ubuntu first. Step 1 and 4 are literally create a new VM and attach the HAOS VDI. Make sure you are unzipping the VDI zip file before using.

So are you having a different problem now? There should not be any OVF import involved while following the install steps.

Of course I unzipped haos_ova-13.1.vdi.zip.

No bootable medium found!

then there’s a pop-up.

The virtual machine failed to boot. That might be caused by a missing operating
system or misconfigured boot order. Mounting an operating system install DVD mig
ht solve this problem. Selecting an ISO file will attempt to mount it after the
dialog is closed.

I cannot proceed past this.

I booted the Ubuntu .iso and the only thing I can find is
/dev/sda
which says:

mount /dev/sda /mnt
NTFS signature is missing.

You didn’t enable EFI, which is mentioned in step 3 of the instructions.

You are correct. I took the “special OSes only” warning too much to heart.
It is my error.

Thanks, freshcoast. I should have said that before, but I failed.