Thermostat with 2 target temperatures

Hello,

i was searching the internet and the forum, but I did not find a solution.

I would like to create a thermostat to control my heatpump which in fact has a heating and a cooling mode.

I would like to set 2 target temperatures (one for heating, one or cooling mode).

So for example heating is 21°C +/- 0,5K and cooling is 24°C +/- 0,5K

So depending on the temperatures the heating or cooling mode should be used. Between 21,5°C and 23,5°C there shall be either heating or cooling.

How could this be solved ? Or is there a way to create two generic thermostats (one for heat, one for cool) and then to control them with one frontend card?

Or are there other solutions ?

Greets Karl

See if this suits your needs:

this looks quite interesting, which frontend- card do you recommend to use ?

1 Like

You might be searching the wrong terms. I think you want to search for auto switching thermostat.

I use a GoControl GC-TBZ48 Z-Wave thermostat. I think that one is no longer made. They probably make a newer version.

It has a couple of great options. One, Z-Wave. So, can be controlled with HA. Two, it can use a remote sensor. I use an Aqara Temperature sensor in the living area. The thermostat is in the hall and wasn’t keeping us comfortable.

No I do not search for any hardware - the suggested integration seems to look good. But I have one question to it.

I installed it with the following code for testing purposes:

- platform: dual_smart_thermostat
    name: Heizung_EG_dual
    heater: switch.study_heater
    cooler: switch.study_cooler
    heat_cool_mode: true
    target_sensor: sensor.temperatur_eg
    min_temp: 16
    max_temp: 26
    ac_mode: false
    target_temp_high: 24
    target_temp_low: 21
    cold_tolerance: 0.5
    hot_tolerance: 0.5
    min_cycle_duration:
      seconds: 3
    initial_hvac_mode: "off" # hvac mode will reset to this value after restart
    precision: 0.1
    target_temp_step: 0.1

and then I installed the following thermostat card.

with the following code:

type: custom:simple-thermostat
entity: climate.heizung_eg_dual
layout: null
header:
  name: Wärmepumpe EG

One behavior is strange for me: why doesn’t it pull the 24°C in cooling mode, but on off and heat/cool mode it pulls the right preset values ?

grafik

grafik

grafik

grafik

How do I set this up when the heater and cooler are the same device, and don’t have a switch, just an on and off button on the remote?

1 Like

Have you found a workaround for such usecase? Thanks!

This video shows a clear way on how to heat & cool when you have a single “on” & “off” switch. The video is in Spanish but the commands to be written are clearly shown.