Thinking Big

Open Source != Free. But with that said, Home Assistant is completely free to download and use. There is an add-on that simply makes it EASIER to use Alexa and/or Google Assistant. The add-on (Cloud) does not add functionality that is not already there. It only makes it easier. If that’s a problem, @Dixey, please feel free to not use it. There are costs that the devs pay out of pocket to support a project of this scale, but GOD FORBID they actually try to cover those costs!! “This is supposed to be OPEN SOURCE.” :roll_eyes:

Open - source; denoting software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified.

If you wish to make part of your “open - source” fee for use… kool… have at it… just be upfront about throwing the term open source around with your own definition.

I think the team are quite open about some of the cloud code being kept closed. However the cloud is not part of home assistant, and the fact that some of the cloud is not opened is irrelevant to home assistant’s openness.

Your post is pretty much why I said this is a moot point. Everything can be done without the cloud. So why is this even a discussion? Just because people don’t want to pay? Ok. Don’t pay, use the 1030492038947283074 other ways to connect to Alexa.

• Permissions. Using the same user and context features, we will also be able to limit access to entities to users.

This sounds exactly what I’m after, giving all users access to everything is not always the best idea!