This entity does not have a unique ID, therefore its settings cannot be managed from the UI after recent update

Today I upgraded HA to Version 214. After doing so, I get this message: This entity does not have a unique ID, therefore its settings cannot be managed from the UI". It’s telling me most of my entities are lacking a unique ID. Note all my old, pre existing lights/switches work… but do not have ID’s. When I added a new light, it does not work at all.

I use customize.yaml, but there are no ID’s in that file

I there some change i have to make to my configurations?
Thank you in advance

I now noticed by problem seems to be limited to light domain. “light: !include lights.yaml” in the config file appears correct and is unchanged from the version I upgraded from. My switches work fine… it’s just the lights have this ID issue.

Perhaps I have misdiagnosed the problem. After upgrade, everything appears to work, EXCEPT after upgrade I added a new light to the configuration. I have reviewed the configuration entries and they do not have an error. BUT… the new light shows up as “unavailable” in the UI.

I can’t figure out how to make this light not “unavailable”. Perhaps my problem has nothing to do with the unique ID requirement.

This is the jaml entry in my lights.yaml file that yields “unavailable”:

• platform: mqtt
    name: “dimmer_44”
    state_topic: “stat/dimmer_44/POWER”
    command_topic: “dimmer_44/POWER”
    availability_topic: “dimmer_44/LWT”
    brightness_state_topic: “stat/dimmer_44/RESULT”
    brightness_command_topic: “cmnd/dimmer_44/Dimmer”
    brightness_scale: 100
    brightness_value_template: “{{ value_json.Dimmer }}”
    qos: 1
    payload_on: “ON”
    payload_off: “OFF”
    payload_available: “Online”
    payload_not_available: “Offline”
    optimistic: true
    retain: false

Other entries EXACTLY the same except for the entity name work perfectly.
Any guidance would be appreciated.

Latest update: I got the dimmer switch working… kind of. It shows up properly in the Lovelace UI. When I trigger the toggle switch, nothing happens. BUT… if I use the dimmer slider, the dimmer will go on and off.
Perhaps it has to do with the rules applied to the tasmota dimmer.

I am at a loss.

I found this thread after searching for the same message you are getting. I recently upgraded to 0.108.5 from .1 and am facing the same problem as you. I just don’t know where to look to find the offending ID or how to fix it.

Also getting this with yeelights, my customise file wasn’t working and the lights were showing up with their default yeelight_id names. I tried to customise the entities through the ui but got the message about not having a unique Id. So I tried clearing my customisation file of yeelight entities. Restarted, and tried to customise through the ui again, but got the same error.

Does this mean their are like orphan entries in the entities file in .storage directory and if so does this mean there is a bug allowing duplicates to be created?

108.6 having this issue with my yeelights

I have the same with “utility_meter” which by the way is not working properly.

I’m having the same issue with my yeelight

I too am seeing the same message associated with my MQTT blinds. Lots of searching and trying different things, no luck.

I get this with a bunch of MQTT sensors amongst other things. Where am I supposed to change the id or assign it a unique one?

Just chiming in with a Yeelight problem with this change.

It’s annoying as it makes it so I can’t set the light into an area - and I’m sure that worked before.

1 Like

I’m having this issue as well… I have all these device tracker entities that were added due to Unifi integration, and I want to edit them in the HA entities UI, but they can’t be because they are reporting as “This entity does not have a unique ID, therefore its settings cannot be managed from the UI”.

Same problem with my newly added Yeelight lamp

Blockquote Same problem with my newly added Yeelight lamp

I am totally noob with home assistant and seeing that i am not alone it reassures me.

I can see and swit ON/off the light but can’t change the room ;(

Same problem here with a TP-link smart plug. No unique id. It is listed as an “unnamed device”

1 Like

Same problem here with all devices add manual by yaml.

Same issue with one entity on a TP Link Power Strip. I can see the device listed in Config/Entities with its status as read only and can turn it on and off from there but cannot use it in the interface.

I have not done this, but in your MQTT device configuration add the following parameter…

identifiers: 123456

Use any number, just make each one unique.

Please reply back and let me know if it fixes the issue. Hopefully I helped. Found it in the MQTT docs for switches, and binary sensors. I assume it is there for all MQTT types.

David