Thoughts on RPi 4 Install

Greetings,

I am currently running Home Assistant on an Atomic Pi along with a few other things.

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 on the way and am planning on moving HA over to that.

I could run Hass.io on the hardware but that would (as far as I can tell) give me a headless box and I was hoping to use a touchscreen to add some basic control functionality as well.

I could run raspbian and port my current HA virtual env over, or run Docker and run hass.io on that.

My current feeling is to run raspbian with docker, HASS.IO on Docker and a local web browser in kiosk mode on the raspberry pi.

If I do that I will probably add battery back up as well.

Any preferences from anyone? Any suggestions?

Hass.io doesn’t really exist any longer. The install you describe is the supervised install. It is deprecated (but the deprecation is on hold).

So, my options are to use Home Assistant OS (no display), or a virtual environment. Or are they getting rid of one of those options too?

I would have thought that maintaining the OS itself would be more effort than just maintaining a container and leaving others to manage the OS portion. Or am I missing something?

HassOS is one controlled environment. Supervised has to exist on many distros.

It may be that supervised survives. It may be that supervised survives but just on debian (by which I include raspbian). Box on, you can always redo it all :slight_smile: