Thread and HA

Thread now seems (finally) to becoming a real thing. What if any would be the best way to link HA to Thread to support Thread devices?

I don’t think anything, as long as you have a border router the rest of the protocol is connected to the network, and the regualar ip based integrations do their thing

Thread really got me and i allready searched for infos.

You can use a RPi as a Threadrouter.
https://openthread.io/guides/border-router/build

It looks like you need a flashed Thread USB dongle, too.
for example a CC2652

@MoeJoe
Thanks I will investigate that.

Anyone think this project ( roysjosh/nanoleaf-ltpdu on github.com ) and the RPi Threadrouter that @MoeJoe mentioned can work together i rather not buy a nanoleaf Elements device if i can get a RPi I already have to work.

@gambit2552 I bought a $10 USD nRF52840 Dongle and got the OpenThread border router to run & join the Nanoleaf Thread network according to the details provided in the Nanoleaf app. I’m not sure if the Nanoleaf app will set up a Thread network without one of their devices acting as border router. Unfortunately I don’t have a way to test that without factory resetting all the bulbs and wiping the app. That may happen at some point but not until the HAP/CoAP work is done.

If their app doesn’t play ball, I figured out some of the details of how they provision their products with the Thread network details. Someone would have to write a small app to pair over BLE and do those steps though.

1 Like

Not sure where the testing is for thread on the above but I came across this while investigating: Playing with Thread and MQTT-SN on Nordic nRF52840 · electronut

Might be an easier integration point to have a side router on the OpenThread network exposing the various devices endpoints via MQTT so that HA can interact with them. I’m not sure its been done end to end however.

Kind of similar to what zigbee2mqtt does eventually could be a thread2mqtt HA addon.