Tidbyt integration (Tidbyt = A retro display from the future)

Hi guys,

I am a HA fan and backed Tidbyt on Kickstarter.
The device could have so much use with HA. Options are endless.

Also the makers made it open source so people could make more and more options for it.
Now online through the API, but they are bussy with an option to use it offline as well.

Is there a developer that could have a look and hopefully see the potential, I do.
Tidbyt Developer Page
Tidbyt API Guide

Fingers crossed and all the help and votes are welcome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice device but steep price :wink:

Is the hardware open-source? Would you have a link to it?

Hi Chris,

Check the response from a Tidbyt founder/developer:
https://discuss.tidbyt.com/t/lan-api/1188

:crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

this looks awesome, I would love to see this working with HA as a notification target!

1 Like

It would be super neat if we could get graphs / state from HA into this device! I just got mine and really enjoy the look of it! A quick look at the tool makes me think we could host a local docker that can push content to the device relatively easily…

2 Likes

Have you made any progress on the Tidbyt HA integration? I would love it.

I made a Tidbyt community app that can display an entity value, but only if you have a Nabu Casa subscription. As far as I know, there is not a local api yet (though I don’t stay closely connected with Tidbyt updates).

Why does this only work with a Nabu Casa account? Well the Tidbyt team does not allow users to enter custom urls into the app configuration because this would allow for malicious attacks to any url using their servers. This means that people can not point to a custom url that they host (including local IPs) to retrieve data.

I argued that the Nabu Casa url acts like an api key in that the first section is long and seemingly a random string of characters unique to each user. Ex. abcabc1234.ui.nabu.casa The Tidbyt team agreed and now allow for data to be retrieved from Nabu Casa by configuring the first section of the url in the Tidbyt app.

Tidbyt Hass Entity App

1 Like

+100 to this idea.

Having a local APi for home assistant (or allowing custom URLs where we can prove ownership) is much needed.