Time is off by 1 hour

I have an automation that is set to trigger at 7 P.M. (19:00:00 hours) I have my time set correctly, which is eastern (America/Bogota) but it keeps triggering at 8 P.M. I created a time sensor and its showing that I’m still 1 hour off. Any idea what the issue could be?

Time and/or timezone.

Check what the following shows in Developer tools -> Templates against some trustworthy source:

{{ utcnow() }}
{{ now() }}

America/Bogota is currently UTC-5 hours and does not implement DST.

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converted.html?p1=41&p2=179

In contrast, America/NewYork (and other eastern cities in USA and Canada) is currently UTC-4 hours because DST is implemented.

Perhaps the 1 hour discrepancy is due to some sort of misapplication of the DST offset in America/Bogota.

1 Like

I am having the same issue, except mine is showing UTC off by +1 hour. It currently 03 AM UTC

Is the host machine’s system clock set correctly?

Aside from the 1 hour discrepancy, why is there a 4 minute difference between Home Assistant’s clock and your PC’s clock? If both are using an external time reference, there shouldn’t be a difference of that many minutes.

22:17 vs 21:13

my pc clock matches all the other internet connected clocks in the house. I restarted home assistant before I posted.

Then your Home Assistant machine should match all others because it also uses an internet-based time reference … or at least it should be and its operating system’s timezone should be set correctly.

Which installation method did you use for Home Assistant? Is it HAOS or HA Supervised on Debian?

HAOS on a raspberry pi. I just updated to the latest of both updates (OS and the other thing). I didn’t notice this happening before the update.

An RPi isn’t equipped with a Real Time Clock (RTC) so on bootup Home Assistant syncs with an internet time reference. It appears that something isn’t quite right with the syncing and/or the selected timezone.

would any logs be helpful?

If you have the SSH Add-on installed you can use it to issue a date command and see what time the operating system reports.

1:04 ahead also.

I need to add that when I did the core OS update, it did not come back up until I forced a reboot.

I just updated to os 7.4. Even after a restart, UTC time is now off by 5 hours.

I think I figured it out. It seems that Ooma blocks NTP connections :confused:

You have it connected directly to the internet?

Because if it’s connected to a router, it’s the router that has the ability to close various ports.

Full disclosure: I don’t own an Ooma Telo and assumed it’s merely a VoIP adapter.

I’m running in docker and am using British Standard Time which is Europe/London both docker and the host are setup correctly but home assistant is showing one hour behind.

Go to Developer tools → Templates and enter

{{ now() }}
{{ utcnow() }}

That’ll confirm if the problem is that the host time is wrong.

Time’s correct in the results
2022-10-23 18:25:08.212735+01:00
2022-10-23 17:25:08.212752+00:00

Forgot to mention that it’s the logs that are an hour off for me and the times on sensor data such as last updated are also an hour behind as if they are all using utc (i can see that being used for the actual backend data values, but on the web interface i’d expect to see it in local timezone when looking at the device info)

The logs are in UTC

I am having the same issue. I just moved my server to a new mini pc as my last one gave up. My system time is correct. Bios time is correct. I am in the UK currently on DST (GMT+1). Time zone on the HA system is correct (GMT+0 London)
Google Photos
Any fixes for this?
HAOS - 10.3