Timer and stopwatch

my question: on the home assistant are the timers, which displayed show a countdown … is it possible to have an integration that shows the time like stopwatch, from start to finish ?? :thinking:

Could be possible, need to check, however I’m wondering what the use case for this is? You have some end goal in mind?

curiosity killed the cat! :Sorridi: In this bad quarantine period I set up a system with a simple pir sensor to count and time my running laps around the garden … only I miss the stopwatch

In it’s simplest form, this will create notifications of times you pass the PIR (to the microsecond).

trigger:
  platform: state
  entity_id: binary_sensor.garden_pir
  to: 'on'
action:
  service: persistent_notification.create
  data_template:
    title: "Lap Timestamp"

To display how long it took to do the lap instead (in seconds, to the nearest 10th of a second):

Automation:

trigger:
  platform: state
  entity_id: binary_sensor.garden_pir
  to: 'on'
action:
  - service: input_text.set_value
    data_template:
      entity_id: input_text.this_time
      value: "{{ as_timestamp(now()) }}"
  - service: persistent_notification.create
    data_template:
      message: "{{ (states('input_text.this_time')|float - states('input_text.last_time')|float)|round(1) }}"
      title: "Lap Time"
  - service: input_text.set_value
    data_template:
      entity_id: input_text.last_time
      value: "{{ states('input_text.this_time')|float }}"

Input Texts:

this_time:
  name: This Time
  initial: 0

last_time:
  name: Last Time
  initial: 0

This will miscalculate your first lap time unless you start running just before the PIR trigger area.

If you want to display the lap times in a Lovelace card you can use the custom homefeed card.

1 Like

Although your question is a old, maybe you or somebody else can find this useful:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/stopwatch-with-start-stop-resume-lap-and-reset/443994