Tinker board S or Raspberry Pi 4 performance wise

Hello,

I want to upgrade my Hassio hardware from current RPi3 B (non plus version) because I’m not satisfied with it’s performance any more. History loading takes forever and any action in Grocy addon takes several seconds to complete, which is almost unusable for my fridge tablet control panel.

I’ve seen some praise on Asus Tinker Board S here on the forums, but now that RPi4 B is here I’m wondering which would be better.

I’ve did my research and so far pros/cons that I’ve found are these:

Asus Tinker Board S:

Raspberry Pi 4:

• + It’s cheaper than Tinker board
  • + According to benchmarks above, it’s faster in python execution and also PHP (Grocy addon is in PHP, so it’s important)
  • - Does not have any on-board storage and requires SD card which is slower and not that reliable compared to eMMC (I have Samsung 32GB EVO Plus UHS-I U1)
  • - HassOS does not support it right now, but that will change in the near future

Did I forget some pros/cons? What would you recommend to me? Is the storage performance really that important? Do you have any experience with HA performance on any of the two devices?

I own an Asus TinkerBoard, but it’s better you go for raspberry, even is a bit less performant.
https://tinkerboarding.co.uk/forum/thread-2587.html
You may find this of some interest.

Do you have Tinker board or Tinker board S with eMMC? I’d like to know if the IO performance can be seen in load times of things like History page.

I won’t replace my Tinker Board S until I can flash HassOS to a SSD and boot a Raspberry Pi 4 from it!
eMMC is way more reliable and faster than a SD card (even a high end one). Home Assistant runs really fine on it.
One pros for the raspberry pi is that it’s very popular and nearly all open source software run on it.

I don’t have much experience with the pi setup. But why not set up the /boot partition on the SD and then build root “/” on a nice high end USB stick? The pi4 SD speed is supposed to be faster than the pi3, but USB 3.x on the pi4 is apparently 10x faster than the pi3 SD. Just a thought.

1 Like

TB S. But I currently install on a SD card ALarm and HA. I can’t tell about performances or benchmarks, unless I get the info how to perform such thing.

That’s the condition to discourage on adventuring on buy a TB S (or plain). Even the cost is a negative point on the TB.
TBS vs RPi4, for the same RAM size. (Non S might be same price)

FYI for others looking, two issues I’ve encountered so far with Pi4 (which the SSD wont apply to you),

1. No USB boot, had to copy my boot partition back to an SD to get the Pi to boot.
  2. Aeotec Z-Wave USB bug where the stick doesnt work; need to plug it into a crappy USB2 hub instead of direct to the Pi.

All the SBC rely to a hardware defined point where they may boot. That piece of code is called u-boot, in general.
Usually that code resides outside the MCU, so it takes to read from an additional media, such as SD card or MMC. Also because is rather voluminous to fit into the internal MCU flash.
So the system should read that piece of code then can act to boot from everywhere the hardware permits.

I’ve decided to try TB S with eMMC install. I can return it in 14-days if I’m not satisfied with it.

Id go Pi4 if you can be patient. There is a good chance that USB SSD works shortly… and if so it ought to be the perfect combination of a) reliable b) fast and c)widely supported.

I’m using an Odroid C2, and it’s the same price as the Raspberry Pi 4 2GB (The Odroid C2 has 2GBs of ram). I recommend using Ameridroid to purchase one.

It has emmc like the tinker board s, however it isn’t built into the board itself and you need to purchase it separately. One thing I do personally have against the tinker board is the use of the RK3288 cpu, as they aren’t the easiest to develop for. I’ve personally found the Odroid community to be bigger than stuff for Tinkerboard. I personally don’t own a Tinkerboard S but from what I’m reading in this post it seems that the Tinkerboard isn’t very good with home assistant. I’ve been running off the Odroid C2 for about a year now, without any hiccups.

+1

I’ve hard time to get ArchlinuxArm working. Then still not completed, they are using scripts in init.d (debian stile) to patch they flaws.

Tinker board S support has been dropped with last HassOS release (4)…
You can still use it with a SD card but no more eMMC boot