Tip: interesting doorbell which seems to really work!

Hi all

I just bumped on a video review of a doorbell that I want to share with you.
It has been suggested by @tom_l :wink: as an answer in a few threads, but to make sure this is available to more people, I created this topic.

The video is really useful and has great follow-ups, so really worth to check.
To be clear: I have no connection whatsoever with it, just hope it can be useful to at least 1 person.

1 Like

Interesting and coolā€¦

Butā€¦ 1 for me very important requirement would be next to ā€œno Subscriptionā€ a ā€œno cloudā€ solution. Is that th case? How is that app working? Directly to the doorbell, no cloud needed?

1 Like

Hi sender, I cannot answer to that ā€˜no-cloudā€™ question, so therefore you have to dig into it yourself - or maybe someone else will answer that in this thread?

This doorbell is meant to also being used from outside your home and either you open up ports, set up a VPN, your only option is to use a cloud service.
If you donā€™t want this device to communicate to the outside world, the easiest option would be to set a wrong gateway or block DNS requests from it.

I was so hyped when I clicked the video - this is exactly the kind of doorbell I was looking forā€¦

BUT

The set is more like 300-350ā‚¬ if you get it from China, including taxes and customs fees - and of course probably a month delivery timeā€¦ 400ā‚¬ if you get it from Amazon :(((

Also, how exactly does the app connect to the doorbell over the internet? If I had to take a guess, you need to make an account and all communication gets sent through chinese servers :face_with_monocle: not only is this a security/privacy risk, you are completely dependend on the companyā€™s existence.

One more clue you should not believe everything on YouTube :slight_smile:

I hadnā€™t checked any prices but a quick search does confirm the claim that itā€™s under 200$: to be specific ā‚¬113,52 or US $131.58

Since I have seen quite a lot, here and elsewhere on the net, of issues with doorbells I thought that this was finally something really interesting.

Regarding remote connection: it uses p2p.
This is always an issue if you want to use a doorbell, or any network device, outside of you LAN: either you use cloud services or you set up your own connection, itā€™s that simple.

Oh it most definitely is!
Maybe the price was raised, because of the video and everyone is buying one now xD
I will keep an eye on it - for ~150ā‚¬ Iā€™d get one immediately