To Proxmox or not to Proxmox

Thanks for all your help. I seem to be in business now, both with devices appearing in HA as well as my zigbee2mqtt frontend.

1 Like

I notice you have MariaDB running in its own container. I am in the process of setting up a system using Proxmox but i am struggling with setting up the MariaDB lxc. Would you or anybody be able to give me some guidance with getting this setup?

1 Like

Hi

I’m new to HA but not Proxmox.
I wonder how much RAM and disk space you assign the different Proxmox containers like:
HA Core (venv), InfluxDB, MariaDB, Grafana, NodeRED, HiveMQ

Is there a recommendation on CPU to run everything without bottlenecks?
Cores, Threads, GHz…

Hi guys, i have followed all of the guides on properly setting up Zigbee2mqtt lxc and no success. The best i could achieve was to install everything and stuck on proper usb passthrough (device was found but not under any ACM)… is here someone who could support?

Did you find a solution to get MarisDB going?

A few Proxmox helpers

4 Likes

I have followed your script to install mqtt , as newbie i am lost on how to create the user and passwd in the LXC container, At the moment i am using the mqtt addon is in my HA VM in proxmox could you advise on how to complete your process to create the user/ password as when i try to restart the container , i have this error job for mosquitto.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status mosquitto.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details. root@mqtt:~# text

I am not sure is it is due to not creating the user/ password. Your advise would be appreciated.

The password file generating utility is entered through the newly created mqtt lxc console.

sudo mosquitto_passwd -c /etc/mosquitto/passwd <usr>

Replace <usr> with the user of your choosing.
example: sudo mosquitto_passwd -c /etc/mosquitto/passwd admin
Then it will ask for a password

Then continue following the readme.

Thank you that worked. another question do i remove the mosquitto from HA in VM and use the new ip address for LXC for my devices? I am currently using ZHA with conbee11 do you recommend that i a remove my devices and start again with Z2M, at the moment i don’t have many zigbee devices ??

So, you’re running HAOS? (supervisor)

Well, I don’t know what your end goal is, but you can use the newly created mqtt broker. Remember to also redo the mqtt integration.

The conbee II stick is still experimental with zigbee2mqtt.
I’d advise you to get a CC2652 zigbee coordinator before starting a new zigbee mesh.

Yes I am running whisker007/ proxmox hassos. which is running fine except i am having problems with node -red , hence i decide to set node red and mqt in lxc in proxmox so i just need to remove mqtt from HASSO and let the LXC deal with every thing once i have changed the ip address for my devices and integration ?
I am just learning the ropes at the moment.

Reserve your mqtt ip, or set to static to make sure it doesn’t change.
Yes, change the mqtt ip, user and password in all of your tasmota, ect devices.

Sounds like your end goal is to detach everything from HA
Screenshot 2021-07-12 11.46.57 AM

I run supervised on Debian VM in Proxmox, rock solid for over a year. I don’t see any disadvantages, especially backup/restore is a breeze with Proxmox.

1 Like

I have to know, why would you run a supervised install of ha in a proxmox vm instead of a HAOS vm? To me, I see no advantage.

In 2021, I don’t see any need for a supervised install. HA is pretty much locked down to a HAOS config, and you have to update Debian. Home Assistant Container is the future for us tinkers, IMHO

Why wouldn’t you? Some people don’t like HAOS! Some people still want supervised with addons which integrate with no effort into HA.

Well thank you for your arrogant opinion.

Yeah that one shell command is a bitch.

I prefer addons for anything that is HA related personally.

Makes no sense.

WOW

But why? Just run HAOS!

Then HAOS is the way!

Explain why would you?

I actually did explain it but you seem unable to accept any view that doesn’t agree with yours so I won’t bother responding further.