Todo List ideas?

Hi HA community,

I have a kiosk for the family that displays various information - calendar, commute time, weather, etc. Has anyone integrated a ToDo/Task Management service. I’m not looking for anything complex - I’d just like to know what others are using.

Thanks!

1 Like

I must admit I just use markdown files as a list, there are probably better solutions out there.

Something like a shopping list card? https://www.home-assistant.io/lovelace/shopping-list/

1 Like
2 Likes

Radical thank you!

IMHO needing a grocy integration for a to do list is overkill. (don’t have a other solution though, sorry)

And on the grocy note: custom component for grocy F*cks up my HA install. So I can’t use the chores card

We use Google Keep and I came across this but have not tried it myself: Google Keep Custom Component and Lovelace card

Is there a tasks.org integration available?

1 Like

I use as shopping/todo combination a todo.txt file which i sync via syncthing between my smartphone, computer and those of my wife.

Do you know about an integration fpr todo.txt in home assistant?

It would be awesome to see the pending todos on our wallpanel or to be able to add something to the shopping list using self made dash buttons.

Thanks for your help and ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are an Amazon Alexa household this integration is great for shopping/todo lists.

how can i setup the Shopping List Card to show items from an todo.txt file?

Sorry, you can’t, i thought you mend you wanted an alternative to your current solution, with a “synced” .txt file … i.e that both your wife and you had HA-App on your phones.

todo

With above card, and the shopping_list integration, you can make automations

The simplest way to use the shopping list with automations (e.g., when entering a zone with shops) is to create a notification that can be clicked to open the shopping list.

PS: you can use Card-Mod to style your card, i.e smaller rows etc … and automations like , " today the sun will shine between noon and 2pm, time for your Garden project"

EDIT: Thou i admit, it’s actually a very basic “shopping/todo list card/integration” , instead i would use.
Webpage_ Card, and in your case place your todo.txt file in HA, or a place accessible by HA, i.e. " url: /local/todo.txt"(thou you can’t edit a “separate txt-file” directly with a dash-button, unless with some extensive template)… or you could make your own cool todo/shopping list in HTML, requires some kind of db thou, or a reload/re-render function, to save updates to the file.

The shopping list is excellent. Only one downside: I only can create one list. So If you use it for shopping (like me), you can’t use another instance for todo

Yes, i also had an idea of several-lists, and/or i.e sections, and maybe even a Tap/link to external/internal “extensive/detailed” doc.
I only looked briefly at it’s structure in browsers-tools, as i didn’t find the source-code in GitHub, thou found an absolutely similar Card in “google” , among few others, so i guess this integration uses the homeassistant_db or some file to store the “settings/items” in. EDIT: or maybe it’s actually in the Card
So i guess an FR, or PR is the only way to evolve this particular integration/card.
I’m about to try to style it, i.e heights on Rows etc. with Card_Mod
But the other i showed, it will try to add i.e a click-button(column) for each row to “extra/detail” info, and as mention section, and/or options for several lists, i could try to use the HA “shopping_card” to build upon, so i had an example, to FR/PR, as i can’t see why/what in the integration that should “prevent” several lists.
From a “Card” perspective, it could just be a “selection” list, i.e Garden/Garage/Projects/Food, problem or point is , i don’t know whether it uses the db, or internal file to store the items and how, but i’ll figure it out when i have time :slight_smile:
PS: I think it’s stored in the card(which is then re-rendered for each change applied to it, or maybe actually in the integration, as you dont seems to need the card :slight_smile:
PS: It’s the integration, and the way it’s written it’s not “trivial” to get another list in :frowning:

Some good ideas here, but considering how important having a ToDo list is for me, so far Home assistant hasn’t really been able to do what I want. All I want is to show a card with ToDo items on my dashboard without having to maintain 2 or more lists.

I’ve been looking for an integration with Notion.so as I use that for my ToDo lists/second brain, but I can’t seem to find that. Been trying out the Gtask integration lately, but that stopped working after some time and also been looking at some Zapier but nah.

Will try todoist now, hopefully that will help me.

I stumbled upon the same thing. My wife and I have been using Todoist for a while now, and I couldn’t find any working embeddable solutions for it, so I decided to write my own. Todoist has a very extensible API and should be easy to automated in relation to IFTTT and HA.

Darrell Dwayne van den Bos / Embedded Todoist · GitLab

1 Like

Several years later it is still proved very helpful for our household todos & chores! Best option for the purpose of the options I’ve tried

@DeCodeerHeer nice solution you have there!
To make it work nicer in home assistant I’d recommend to keep a local state to show while refreshing from the API, this way it’ll hopefully also feel a lot more native! (I’ll create an issue for it on the repo :wink: )

1 Like