Too much data coming into HomeAssistant?

Hi all,

I am using the system monitor platform to keep an eye on some of the metrics that are available for my hass server (an Odroid C2). I noticed that the sensor.received_eth0 shows a very large number, which I cannot explain. about 5 gigabyte in 15 hours. The server is running home assistant only, it is connected to my asus router, hue hub, some media players, etc, so I understand that pinging etc is continuously happening, but still that is a lot of data to be coming in, and I am not even home :slight_smile:

Do other users have similar numbers, or at least magnitude? Or is this sensor showing the amount of network traffic in total as seen by the nic?

Just wondering…

As you can see my Hass server has been running for 8 days+, data in and out seems pretty reasonable.

that sure is a lot less than what my server is reporting. I don’t think I am hacked or anything, I just can’t explain the high amount of data.

My incoming internet connection is hooked up to a modem/router from the ISP. I have hooked up my own ap/router to that, and the hass server connected to that second router. The internet connection monitor on the modem showed just under 1000 Megabytes received yesterday, and about 1500mb sent. But the hass server shows about 7Gb of incoming traffic over that same period yesterday.

How many devices is HA monitoring? On my system I’m only controlling 3 rf devices so far.

it is controlling a zwave network with a dimmer and two relays and 2 multisensors. 6 hue bulbs, and a few external interfaces for weather etc. I noticed very chatty multisensors but it is almost all on the lan, hardly anything over wan…

Any MQTT devices?

To anyone still searching for this problem - it’s Speedtest.net

Speedtest .net will use up to four HTTP threads during the download and upload portions of the test.

1 Like