TP-Link disappointing update

Just thought I’d give folks a heads-up regarding a disappointing move by TP-Link that users may not have noticed. I have three tp-link smart switches, on all of which I’ve disabled the remote access feature. Recently I was moving all my wifi IoT devices onto a wifi AP that I was wanting to isolate from the internet to improve security. To test this, I temporarily re-enabled remote access on one of my TP-link switches. Turns out after doing so it is impossible to disable it again! TP-link have removed this option from the Kasa app. Really unhappy they are trying to force customers into cloud control.

Have you tried uninstalling the Kasa app and downloading and installing an older version of the app? If you have access to, or use and Android device, you can get an older .apk very easily.

1 Like

Can you deny Internet access for those devices in your router’s settings? I’m able to do that with my router.

Yes, I’ve done that … but I just feel bummed out by TP-Link going down this route. I understand they probably got sick of people not enabling remote control, then complaining that it didn’t work with their alexa/google home … but if that’s the case, just set the default and hide the option just a little bit, not remove it altogether.