TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug disappears after latest firmware update

I think he wanted a device that could also monitor power.

You may want to check out https://templates.blakadder.com/. Lists all tasmota supported devices.

Thank you! I had one HS100 HW 4.1 with the old firmware still in the box, and now activated it without an account. Hopefully itā€™ll remain that way.

I also saw this:

I donā€™t know enough about HA and coding to understand what heā€™s saying, but if it works, maybe someone can dumb it down for me with an example. :relaxed:

Bummer, I was wondering why all my routines for my HS110 didnā€™t work anymore. Have put a block on their IPs as one HS110 hasnā€™t been upgraded but this ā€˜updateā€™ is unfortunate.

Anyone recommend any other smart plugs for the UK? I see Hive have some, as I have their heating system are they any good?

I just ordered a couple of sonoff s26 plugs which i plan to flash with ESPhome and manage locally only. They donā€™t do energy monitoring but for a couple of specific use cases i have it is a start.

I got some of these, Gosund UP111, and theyā€™re now running ESPHome successfully: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07ZSDWQQ8/

Flashed with tuya-convert (first time Iā€™ve used it) and had a few gotchas along the way:

• tuya-convert canā€™t install its dependencies on a Ubuntu live USB
  • My laptop doesnā€™t want to run Ubuntu properly without lots of messing about
  • Putting a RaspberryPi OS card into my HA Pi was far simpler and worked perfectly
  • The default tasmota it installs will only allow firmware updates when connected to your WiFi, but it has weird restrictions on both the network name and password. Max 32 chars and only letters and numbers for both! Took most of yesterday afternoon to figure out the hyphen in my network name was the problem. Grrr.
  • ESPHome needs lots of config and the energy monitoring needs calibration (apparently my mains is 630V at the moment!) - luckily this page has a great walk through and template config that worked with minimal modification. https://frenck.dev/calibrating-an-esphome-flashed-power-plug/
  • I did add a fallback AP to the WiFi section (copied from the config the esphome wizard produces) and I was grateful becauseā€¦
  • The plugs seemed unreliable with DHCP and needed to be set up with static IPs

So not anywhere near as simple as the TP-Link plugs but it works and will hopefully keep working indefinitely.

Just need to find the time to calibrate the energy monitoring and replace the automation that use it, but Iā€™ve got one which doesnā€™t depend on power measurements in and working so far.

How recently did you buy them? I bought four in March 2019 and tuya convert worked great with them. I bought two more in August 2019 but Tuya convert failed on them and they didnā€™t have power monitoring.
I believe they no longer include the power monitoring hardware, but newer versions of Tuya convert do work.

Ordered on Thursday. They definitely have energy monitoring and were advertised as such. While searching I did notice that the Teckin plugs previously recommended in various places are no longer available with energy monitoring, so are presumably the newer version which does not work with tuya-convert.

Handily, these came in a box with no seals on, so if they didnā€™t convert it would be easy to send them back as unused.

One thing I did notice while testing with a heater to calibrate the energy monitoring is that they got noticeably warm with 2kW running through them, and definitely warmer than the TP-Links. I would be wary of running them with any high power devices, despite the 13A rating.

Not a problem for the dehumidifier and subwoofer that I currently have hanging off them, but I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be using them to alert when the washing machine finishes.

Thing that puts me off a lot of the plugs that can be flashed with ESPHome or Tasmota is they are often from no-name companies youā€™ve never heard of and with the amount of dangerous junk being pushed out by some of these companies who then disappear at the first hint of trouble.

Itā€™s probably ok if you know what you are looking at and can open them up and verify the design but Iā€™m not confident to do that so it becomes really difficult to tell dangerous ones from the safe ones. Itā€™s a shame because not all companies/sellers on these platforms are putting out unsafe junk.

At least with someone like TP-link assuming you havenā€™t got a fake you can be fairly confident theyā€™ve at least passed all the required testing to be legally sold in the UK.

If you have connected your Kasa plugs to the cloud and have access to a Hubitat hub there is an excellent community driver that can be used to unbind them so there cannot auto-update. That is exactly what I did when I first heard about this. All of my devices are still working.

OK, great thanks for that. From long experience with Amazon returns, it doesnā€™t matter whether or not the box has been opened. I had no problem returning the plugs that wouldnā€™t work with Tuya convert, despite me opening all of them.

I have 3 HS110 on hardware 4.0 and software version 1.0.4 and another 2 HS100 on hardware 4.0 and software version 1.1.5

Thank God I read this post as I am an update freak and yesterday I was looking for a firmware update (no particular reason, they work flawlessly).

I have them linked to the Kasa app as well as HA.

Is it certain that they donā€™t auto-update?

3 of mine auto-updated unfortunately, theyā€™re essentially useless to me now since they were used for automations in HA.
If you donā€™t want them to update, you should block their ability to ā€˜talkā€™ to the internet. I achieved this on the last remaining functioning HS100 that I own by setting an Access Control rule on my Netgear router to only allow the IP address to talk on port 9999 (the port it uses for local communication).

Now Iā€™m not sure what to do with the 3 essentially ā€˜brokenā€™ ones!
FU TP-link!!!

Hey @conorlap, thanks for the heads-up! I am going in my router to block them now!

What a disappointing move from TP-Link!

1 Like

As a workaround for now, Iā€™ve setup multiple routines on my Alexa app to switch on/off the various plugs etc. Then I created multiple scripts within HA to call the routines. At least this way I can get my automations up and running again!

Example script:

alias: Hall Camera Off
sequence:
  - service: media_player.play_media
    data:
      media_content_id: hallcameraoff
      media_content_type: routine
    entity_id: media_player.living_room_echo_dot
mode: single

Againā€¦ FU TP-Link!!

1 Like

My Sonoff S26ā€™s arrived today along with a USB to serial converter. I am very impressed with the Sonoffs. Build quality is excellent. They have a plastic ring around the back to increase the spacing from the edge to the terminals for safety. They also have a break down the board (gap) between where the high voltage is and the low voltage (ESP side). From a safety point of view very well thought out.
Easy to flash with ESPhome soldering 4 wires.
These will replace the TPlinks which i no longer am able to control via HA (which will end up being giving to a family member as a simple plug in timer).

The question is, is it certified by your countryā€™s authortities as legal for use?

This is what I am seeing.

I have 4 x HW 2.1, FW 1.5.10 that are perfect, and my 2 x HW 4.1 on FW 1.10.0 have fallen off.

Are the v4.1 you all have a UK type plug? The three EU plugs I have are v4.0 and I canā€™t seem to find a 4.1 version with EU plug.

Is the bad firmware released only for the UK plugs or is it global for v4.0 and up? If that is the case we should inform other members NOT to buy these devices for Home Assistant integration!

Anyway, I hope that TP-LINK realises its mistake and release a new firmware that reopens port 9999.

Perhaps we should keep pounding them with complaints for this!

2 Likes