TP-Link HS110 Smart Plug disappears after latest firmware update

You’re totally right… I was thinking the same thing. “Here we go again, time to go make noise on the community forum and bang some pots and pans on HackerNews / Reddit / Twitter. The pitchforks and torches are where we left them over in the shed from last time.”

2 Likes

Wow, this is great news! I was worried that Tp-Link wouldn’t do anything about it but yet they did. Good for them (and us of course).

@generic many thanks, I have done this and responded on the TP-link post.

My email to support also made a point about the cloud options as follows

As with other members of the Home Assistant community I would like to note that a cloud-based solution is not/will not be acceptable and local control needs to be maintained. I hope that this is taken into account in any future changes to these products and other Kasa products.

2 Likes

Logged a support ticket with TPLink including the MAC addresses of my HS100 units, and just received this reply:

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your email requesting information about TP-Link product.

Thanks for your feedback.
Please kindly wait for the new firmware and then upgrade it.

Thank you and have a great day!

Fingers crossed!

yep that just dropped into my inbox as well…

looks like they have gone for the easy global option instead of individual changes.

I have to admit that this really surprises me - I would have expected nothing more than a friendly shrug… Let’s see where we are once the FW is there!

Hopefully, the new firmware won’t conflict with the revised Kasa integration. :confused:!

For what it is worth I added the following domains to my pihole blacklist as they were being called by my tp-link devices. Hopefully that blocks any attempts to update.

2 Likes

Looking here, it looks like the plan is for the revised integration to first check the original port and if it doesn’t get a response it moves to trying the new port. Now TP-Link are aware of the situation, I don’t think they will make further breaking changes. I think we’ll just end up with plugs that use one of the two ports. It’s win/win once the new integration is released.

Oh man… I would be pissed. I’m going to sell my wemo devices because they are requiring a cloud account to control the devices (at least that is the word). The firewall ruleset I use on my IoT network is default deny, so I have to explicitly grant internet access to devices which I do not for anything the doesn’t need it, including TP-Link devices.

I have around 15 TP-Link EU smart plugs. I was lucky this did not make my plugs unavailable. As soon as I saw this problem I created a own parental control profile for all of my plugs in my TP-Link Deco M5 router to disconnect all TP-Link Plugs from internet.

However I realized that disconnecting affected to this:

today_energy_kwh

After disconnecting this parameter was not available any more. It plays a role in my heating system so it was bad news for me.

In Deco M5 you are able with one click connect/disconnect all the plugs at once. I quickly tested around five seconds to connect them and half of my plugs showed the daily energy - with another try around 15 seconds all the rest of the plugs got daily energy alive again.

I do not have enough understanding how this works but would be great if this would be taken care when trying to fix this problem of this firmware case.

There is this very old, stale bug report on incorrect values which could be related: TP-Link energy monitoring values all wrong · Issue #12029 · home-assistant/core · GitHub – have you checked if you are receiving correct information when using pyhs100 emeter or kasa emeter on those devices? Could it be that this information differs depending on the cloud connectivity (for some odd reason)?

For what its worth, here’s my 2 cents worth:
I’m in Australia, have a bunch of HS100 that seem to be unaffected but my single HS110 is another story. It can be controlled to switch on and off but thats it. Energy data is just unavailable. I have the Kasa app linked to Smartthings. This used to work great for my automations but now its useless.

Just reporting back on another success with TP-Link customer service. Anyone with this issue would do well to email on the above email address. Provide your Kasa account email and MAC addresses of affected devices as previously mentioned.

I emailed Thursday just gone, and on Friday, I got this back:

Dear Customer,
Thank you very much for your email requesting information about TP-Link product.

For your case, please check the new messages on the APP. We will push notification to roll back the firmware and turn off the auto update.

But it would be pushed with 2 days because of the weekend.

Thanks for your patience!

Best Regards

Olivia Ding

So 11 out of 10 for customer service, if what she says is true. I will check the app tomorrow, and my 2 problematic devices ‘should’ roll back to the previous firmware. This bodes very well for TP-Link, they appear to be very concerned about the wants/needs of their customers. I think they probably just didn’t realise the modified firmware was going to cause such hassle. Oddly, I don’t think HA was even on their radar, judging by the thread on their forums. Now they are aware, they seem to be fixing things very quickly.

1 Like

OK, I am all set right now, after that short period connected to internet all the plugs reported today_energy_kwh and stayed available when disconnected from internet again.

So here is TPLink’s reply to my request:

We were aware that there were some security vulnerabilities on the previous firmware of HS100/HS110, some third-party software such as home assistant might take advantage of the vulnerability to manage the plug. To avoid the potential attacks and security risks causing by this, we have released a new firmware version to fix it. After upgrade to the latest firmware, you may find that you cannot manage the smart plug with some unauthorized third-party applications.

We have never promoted that Kasa devices can be used with some unauthorized third-party applications like home assistant. Thus, we do not guarantee such features. For the safety of your devices, It is suggested to use the TP-Link official Kasa Smart app to manage your Kasa devices. Your understanding will be much appreciated.

Basically, tough. Not great.

This was posted on the TP-link forums:

To me that reads that it won’t be a universal fix, and we have to contact them with the Mac addresses of the affected units to make a ticket.

I understand completely. That’s a big red flag. NO more TP-Link products for me!!

@CaptTom Yet TP-link appears to be willing to help.
With all due respect, this issue isn’t affecting your products, judging by your posts in this thread, so I don’t understand where your hostility to TP-link products comes from. Maybe wait and see what resolution TP-link offers to the users affected.

Nope, I will not be buying anymore either. They are all junk now.